PSoC C Compiler

Is there a GCC or any other open source C Compiler available for the Cypress PSoC?

Not that $145 for the Image Craft PSoC Compiler is that expencive, but free means I don't have to get my bosses approval to start working with the PSoC.

Thanks,

Eric

Reply to
Eric

If you attend a Cypress 2006 PSoC World Tour seminar, which is happening right now, you should get a free unlimited license just for attending. Attending the seminar even gives you a nice boost on the PSoC learning curve.

Call your local FAE for info.

JJS

Reply to
johnspeth

The C is included when you buy the ICE Cube emulator. Since it sounds lik you intend to play around with it on your own, I presume this means tha the emulator is out as well, so the only thing left is to work i assembler, which is of course, free.

Selection and placement of the user modules is C independent, and the cod for initialization etc is all provided in assembler and C. You should stil be able to evaluate the PSoC before trying to sell it to your bosses.

At some point someone was talking about a Forth compiler: try searching o

-Aubrey

Reply to
antedeluvian

My local Rep is only providing a PSoC Express Class.... I'm not very interested in the Labview like Express software.

Most of the classes that are offered are only on CapSense... it is a cool technology, but I'm mainly just interested in straight forwared PSoC training.

I'll keep my eyes open for other training opportunities.

Thanks,

Eric

Reply to
Eric

Is there a rule of thumb for how much a professional is supposed to invest in his continuing education? If you owned your very own personal psoc compiler at home and learned how to use it, and your penny wise and pound foolish engineering manager get his cheap arse in a sling and has to fire all his engineers, you can go out and consult as a psoc developer at twice your present hourly rate. Of course, don't let the company start using your licensed copy at work, unless you wear the usb dongle around your neck as a talisman of who owns the tools. He who owns the tools compiles.

Reply to
BobG

I agree $145 is a very reasonable price to pay for a C Compiler.

It is not that my boss won't come up with the money, just that I would have to find a project to justifiy the expence. Politics!!!!

Thanks,

Eric

Reply to
Eric

======================================================== Do you have a car? A phone? Apartment rent? Computer? What percent of your annual income would the $145 represent? 1%? Sounds like a good thing to buy just because its a tool you could use to make money with, like a hammer or a computer?

Reply to
BobG

Not that I ever heard of, but I'm probably not the best guy to ask. So I'm only posting to mention that unfortunately GCC isn't likely on the PSoC. It doesn't fit 8-bit targets very well.

SDCC could probably do it but it doesn't (yet) --mpa

Reply to
Data

It may not. The tools to configure the registers to get the "blocks" is quite large.

Reply to
Neil

gcc works fine on the 8-bit AVR, although I think it took a fair amount of work to get reasonable code generation. gcc (like most compilers) likes lots of registers and an orthogonal instruction set. I think the PSoC is an accumulator architecture, and combined with being 8-bit, is unlikely to be a good target for gcc.

ImageCraft compilers for other targets can be used for something like 45 days for evaluation, so I presume there is a similar arrangement for the PSoC. Would that count as free enough to try it out?

Reply to
David Brown