Prototyping LCD with FFC connector without creating PCB?

Does anyone know of a ready source adapters to convert FFC (0.5mm pitch) 30
pin to (something a little larger) to aid in prototyping?

Re: Prototyping LCD with FFC connector without creating PCB?

If by FFC you mean Flat Foil Connector/Cable, then I doubt there is a ready
source. In my experience every LCD means another different connector.

Whenever I had to evaluate new LCDs, I nearly always found that a good
supplier/distributor of LCDs would be able to provide some form of cable
to go from the particular LCD to open end cable or something different.
I would then make the open end of the cable terminate in a connector to
suit the 40way standard connector on our controllers.

--
Paul Carpenter        | snipped-for-privacy@pcserv.demon.co.uk
<http://www.pcserv.demon.co.uk/ Main Site

Faced with a similar problem, I bought the socket for the FFC, glued
it down with epoxy to a piece of scrap Veroboard, and soldered
wire-wrap wire to the pins, whereby I brought the signals to a 100 mil
header.

Re: Prototyping LCD with FFC connector without creating PCB?

I tried something like that; after spending several tedious hours assembling
the whole thing and finding out I had a single short from a solder wicking
between 2 contacts (and can't get to it), I'd had enough.

Re: Prototyping LCD with FFC connector without creating PCB?

Several hours on a 30-pin connector?? Something's wrong with this
picture. Try a different technique. Use magnification and tweezers as
you work. It helps if you gently bend alternate pins a few degrees up
and down. Glue down the wire-wrap wires with hot-melt as you get them
soldered, so they don't wiggle..

I was using Hirose's Flip-Lock type connector, the Digi-Key part# for
the 30-pin variant is HFJ30CT-ND.

Re: Prototyping LCD with FFC connector without creating PCB?

Yes. Itron make a very thin PCB with various ffc pitch patterns, which can be
cut down to size.

http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/partDetail.jsp?SKU24%9506&N40%1
may be available via Newark in the US

Re: Prototyping LCD with FFC connector without creating PCB?
Thanks, all, for the replies. The LCD rep has a fairly expensive adapter
card which I went ahead and bought.  I figure I'll save time and frustration
using something which already works.

Site Timeline