Programming the FT230 Chip

Has anyone built a product that uses the FT230 chip and requires it to be
programmed?

I'm looking at their "self powered configuration" (section 6.2 of the
data sheet).  It looks easy enough to implement, but it requires that the
internal MPT memory be programmed.

Presumably that is done by talking to the chip via USB, which means that
it has to work correctly, which won't happen when it is self-powered.

So is this done with a fixture in which you program chips?  Is there some
clever way to make a board so that this feature is boot-strapped?

TIA -- I need to slap one of these on a board, it needs to work right,
and it needs to do so in the hands of a customer that doesn't seem to
have a huge amount of experience with wrangling board assembly.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com

Re: Programming the FT230 Chip

I just found one for the FT230, at Mouser -- and ordered it, plus a few
extra chips in case I mis-program something in the process of learning.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services