Programming problem

I have been asked to program a batch of Motorola MC68HC908JK chips.
I have a Dataman 48XP programmer and a floppy "Which contains the
programme".
The floppy has 12 files on it, all with the same name but different
extensions.
These are .abl .abs .ako .apt .ato .drl .drr .gbl .gbs .gko .gto and .txt.
All are accepted by the 48XP as "binary files".
The files vary in size from 686 bytes to105 K bytes.
How do I select the correct file to use without programming 12 chips and
trying them in the circuit?
This is not a new product, the guy who usually programmes has left and I got
the short straw. I was expecting to find a .hex file.
Any help gratefully accepted.
Dave.

Re: Programming problem
On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 15:30:41 +0100, the renowned "Dave Squibb"

The ones beginning with g are probably gerber files (PCB related)

The ones beginning with d and t are probably CNC drill files (PCB
related)

Not sure about the others, perhaps aperture files for each PCB layer.
We have used RS274X for so long I've forgotten what the older stuff
looks like.

Bottom line, I don't think there is any program file on there- that
seems to be a set of PCB manufacturing (not design) files. Motorola
sometimes uses a different extension from .hex for object files, BTW.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Re: Programming problem
On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 14:46:34 GMT, Spehro Pefhany

[...]
[...]

I'd have expected a .s19 file for a moto part.

Is the .txt file readable (ASCII)?  What does it say?  Any of the
other files in ASCII?  What do they look like?  Each line of an Intel
HEX file begins with a colon (":").  Each line of an S19 file begins
with the letter 'S'.  See if anything looks like that.

I have seen binary files with the .abs extension (for "absolute)
before.  That might be worth a try.  But only if you can't find ASCII
data.

Regards,

                               -=Dave
--
Change is inevitable, progress is not.

Re: Programming problem

If there is no hexadecimal file, it is probably a small binary file.  My
first guess would be .abs for absolute image.  View the files and throw
out any containing text that wouldn't be a text string in the program
binary.

Thad

Re: Programming problem
On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 15:30:41 +0100, "Dave Squibb"

Those look to me like Gerber photoplot files, and other files used in
PCB manufacturing, probably produced by Protel.  I would expect all of
them to be ASCII text, except the .drl file.  The .drr file will
contain a report of hole sizes and quantities used on the board.

--
Peter Bennett VE7CEI
email: peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca

You are possibly the victum of a practical joke. These are all
gerber files, for manufacturing the printed circuit board.

If nobody knows where the hex file is, do a search on *.hex on
the entire companies server/network whatever. For starters ;-)

--
Thanks, Frank.
(remove 'x' and 'invalid' when replying by email)

Re: Programming problem

got
Thanks for all the help Guys.
Dave.

Re: Programming problem

have you tried reading a programmed Chip with the Dataman?

Re: Programming problem

.txt.
got
All 0's, assume code protected!