Programming Philips LPC90X

Hi All,

I've been looking for an app note to describe a method of In System Programming for these devices.

All I can find is a standalone programmer for them, but if I want to update sopftware in the field is there a way to reprogram the flash?

Does anyone know of a way?

pfitz

Reply to
pfitz

pfitz schrieb:

The data sheet mentions "ICP" (In Circuit Programming) as a serial programming method without removing the chip from the board. It also mentions that more details can be found in the chips User Manual.

When I looked for the 90x UMs some time ago, they were not yet available for download. Maybe they are now; if not, contact Philips directly or your local Philips distributor. Philips Microcontrollers does a good support.

--
Dipl.-Ing. Tilmann Reh
Autometer GmbH Siegen - Elektronik nach Maß.

I just checked that out,

The Datasheet reads as follows

"In-Circuit Programming is performed without removing the microcontroller from the system. The In-Circuit Programming facility consists of internal hardware resources to facilitate remote programming of the P89LPC901/902/903 through a two-wire serial interface. The Philips In-Circuit Programming facility has made in-circuit programming in an embedded application, using commercially available programmers, possible with a minimum of additional expense in components and circuit board area. The ICP function uses five pins. Only a small connector needs to be available to interface your application to a commercial programmer in order to use this feature. Additional details may be found in the P89LPC901/902/903 User's Manual."

However when I went to the (now avqailable) User Manual this is all that is said about In Circuit Programming.

"The P89LPC901/902/903 Flash memory provides in-circuit electrical erasure and programming. The Flash can be read and written as bytes. On-chip erase and write timing generation contribute to a user-friendly programming interface. The cell is designed to optimize the erase and programming mechanisms. The P89LPC901/902/903 uses VDD as the supply voltage to perform the Program/Erase algorithms. Additionally, serial programming using commercially available programmers provides a simple inteface to achieve in-circuit programming.The P89LPC901/902/903 Flash reliably stores memory contents after 100,000 erase and program cycles (typical)."

Even less info than the datasheet, I still don't know which five pins were being referred to and which commercially available Programmer to use.

Has anyone else done this in the past?

regards

Pfitz

update

Reply to
pfitz

These devices can be programmed using Flash Magic on a PC as long as you have the ISP to ICP bridge. The bridge consists of a simple circuit and a LPC932 with specific firmware to convert from ISP to ICP and vice versa. Philips are apparently going to create an application note describing the bridge and make the LPC932 firmware available for download. Currently ISP to ICP bridges are available for sale from

Andy ESAcademy -

P89LPC901/902/903

is

perform

Manual.

Reply to
Andrew Ayre

Hi,

Thanks for replying here, Basically I have the following two boards, "Keil MCB900 Development board" which is the aforementioned ISP to ICP bridge containg the LPC932 and firmware, I also have the "Philips PAB90x-1 Programming Adapter and Evaluation Boards for 8-pin LPC90x devices" which, it seems to me only allows you to program the device in a socket on this board. I am sending this board for manufacture today so all I really want to know is what pins I need to bring to a hedaer for ICP and if any other pins need to be pulled UP?DOWN for flash programming?

Padraig

microcontroller

internal

using

additional

erasure

erase

memory

were

Reply to
pfitz

Just incase anyone was following this thread, I've managed to locate a programming spec for this processor from a Distributor, can't seem to find it on the net though.

If anyone wants it you can email me by removing SPAM from the email address.

pfitz

Reply to
pfitz