Programming FLASH on the Freescale Coldfire

This may well be the harder option in his case. On the CF I know (mcf52211) and on other Motorola/Freescale parts the dog enable bit is a write once after reset.

I don't get it why people see dogs as a problem, I have them on and kick them typically in the scheduler - have not had a device reset by the dog for decades, it just takes stable code.

Dimiter

------------------------------------------------------ Dimiter Popoff, TGI

Dimiter_Popoff

I see no such limitation described in the MCF52235 reference manual. (see section 13.5.4). Did I miss it?

It's philosophical, mainly. But this thread is some evidence of practical reasons, too. I had a boss 1/t that insisted they be used.

--
Randy Yates, DSP/Embedded Firmware Developer
Digital Signal Labs

I had a brief glance and it looks like you did not miss it, this one can be disabled. It is a larger SOC, perhaps this is why they made it like this. This makes things easier for you, just disable it and go on with the programming. Not that servicing it say each programmed byte would be a big deal of course, but you have the choice.

Just looked at the MPC5200, its watchdog can also be disabled (I have a DPS task feeding it killing which would mean reset on most of our systems).

I typically do the programming with them off, eventually at the end once I have things ready I turn them on to no further effect. Just looked at my flash write of the mcf52211 I did a few years ago, my comment is not "kick the dog" as people seem to say, I have said "feed the dog"... :D.

Dimiter

Dimiter_Popoff

One false positive and they've destroyed any value they add.

I won't disagree - I haven't seen a watchdog fire in decades.

--
Les Cargill
Reply to