Programming Cypress full-speed USB microcontrollers

I'd like to design a simple and *cheap* device with a full-speed USB
capacity - thought I'd use M8 CY7C64113. Unfortunately I haven't been able
to locate any software emulators for the chip, so I'm kind of stuck. I'd
definitely prefer not to pay 1200$ for CY3654 + CY3654-PO3. Are there any
cheaper alternatives? Or maybe some software emulators I've overlooked?
Could I somehow use the PSoC IDE to implement at least some functionality
that is not USB specific? Or is it a completely different architecture?
Could you propose any other microcontrollers that have an innate full-speed
USB support, a similar (low) price and good developement tools (possibly
software emulators)?

Another thing - I couldn't find any information about protection bits (that
disable access to the program memory) in Cypress chips. Does this mean that
they don't have such functionality?

thanks in advance
SM

Re: Programming Cypress full-speed USB microcontrollers
You could use basically any type of cpu coupled with a Philips PDIUSB12
chip.

We currently use it with a MC68HC9S12A64, not that we need the horsepower,
but rather the memory.

But works well.

PW

full-speed
(that
that

Re: Programming Cypress full-speed USB microcontrollers

<snip>

According to a Cypress sales rep, the 64113 is due to be discontinued Q2
05.  The 64013 is currently being phased out.

The best alternatives we've found are the Texas Instruments
TUSB3210/3410.  These have 8052 cores but development tools for the USB
specific features are lacking.  All examples are in C.  These require
external firmware download via host or EEPROM so if you have strict
requirements for code security they're probably not going to work for
you.

Atmel and Freescale have full speed capable controllers that are somewhat
more expensive.  The Freescale is actually high speed but can run full.
National and Philips have interfaces that can work with any micro.
They're close to the cost of the Cypress parts, however.

A fairly comprehensive list is here:

http://www.lvr.com/usbchips.htm

The 64013 has a security fuse so I believe the 64113 does as well.

Doug

Site Timeline