programmer of 8051 compatiable

I am sorry if this post is off topic,
Just wondering is there job market for programmer of 8051 compatible now ?
I am not programmer, just doing 8051 program for fun. Just curious can I
make a living on my hobby in case. (Of course I understand my
programming skill is far from professional yet)

Re: programmer of 8051 compatiable

8051-based CPUs are ubiquitous so there is a market for the CPU. Your
skills as an embedded systems developer, however, are probably more
important to potential employers than your specific CPU experience. That
is, you might be better served learning how to architect embedded systems
(hw + sw) and how to program at a professional level than to learn the few
intricacies of the 8051.

--
- Mark ->
--

Re: programmer of 8051 compatiable

"Architect" is not a verb (yet).

Re: programmer of 8051 compatiable

To architect: v.

It is now. :-) Of course you're correct, engineering jargon sometimes
overflows into "acceptable" English. I suppose "design" would have been a
more appropriate word.

--
- Mark ->
--

Re: programmer of 8051 compatiable

Oh, come now. In the third millenium of the Christian calendar, I
think we can all grow up and agree that all nouns can be verbed.

Re: programmer of 8051 compatiable

I'm for verbing nouns, but I feel for Architects, whose esteemed
profession has been slurred by those who think "designing" computers,
and calling the result "computer architecture", somehow does not
infringe on the overwhelming common use of 20 years ago.

H. Ross Perot once drew the distinction of real architects, and those
who make pretty pictures, but I won't go there. I don't understand the
professional at all.

Re: programmer of 8051 compatiable

Architects often deserve the slurs they get.  When I was at Cambridge
University I was asked, with another Engineer, to build a "structure"
designed by an architect.  We took one look at the design and
concluded that it would not stand up - it was a mechanism not a
structure.  The Architect insisted, so we built it, and stood well
back.  It fell down.

I hope that the Architect learned from the experience but somehow I
doubt it.

S-V

Re: programmer of 8051 compatiable

I have a feeling that that's what H. Ross Perot was talking about. Probably being
one not inspired by design, his definition of an architect was structural
engineer.

A smart architect, as with an engineer or doctor, knows when to defer and refer.
But your case of an "Architect" not knowing basic structural mechanics is
informative.

Re: programmer of 8051 compatiable

Hmm. A "computer architecture" in the sense I understand it is not
incompatible with the idea of Architecture. However I think many
people do incorrectly refer to implementations or designs as
"architectures", much as people might incorrectly refer to masonry as
architecture.

In any case, however, "common use 20 years ago" is not today, is it?
Language changes, and different language use is appropriate in
different scenarios. If I'm talking to today's urban youth, I'm going
to need to speak at least some gutter argot. Writing a scientific
paper requires a different vocabulary and grammar. On the other hand,
if I was writing a piece of fiction, I'd tend to follow the language
and style of my favorite authors of the nineteenth century.

Travel too far down the "but that's not how we said it 20 years ago"
road and you become like the French, desperately clinging to their own
archaisms and attempting to legislate away common-use language
borrowed from other tongues in an attempt to remain socially aloof and
insular. Sometimes I just want to whack them with a Nerf bat.

Site Timeline