Program size - Microblaze

I want to know the average size of the programs  for microblaze
(Xilkernel,  Uart managment, SRAM managment, Ethernet with Lwip).
I think that the size of my program is enormous. Even if i choose
optimization in compiler option, the program size is too big.

My Progam size : 900 ko (My Code, Xilkernel without Lwip)

Size of executable.elf

Microblaze
   OPB
      | - SRAM Controller
      | - Ethernet Lite
      | - UART Lite
      | - UART 16550
      | - Timer
      | - Interrupt controller
      | - IPIF with 3 interrupt

Thank you.
Best regards.

---

Yannick

Re: Program size - Microblaze

?

I presume this is supposed to say 900KBytes?  How are you obtaining this
figure?  Are you looking at the raw binary, or some other format such as elf
or hex?

Richard.

Re: Program size - Microblaze

That's sort of like asking "How long is a piece of string?"

My guess is that it will be somewhere between several kilobytes and a
couple of megabytes.  Give or take.

G.

Re: Program size - Microblaze

Which would make the average about 1 megabyte. :-)

Re: Program size - Microblaze

Depends on the distribution. A million 7-Kb programs and one 2-Mb program will
have an average[1] size of slightly over 7 Kb.

Phil

[1] Well, mean. Mode and median are exactly 7Kb.

--
Philip Potter pgp <at> doc.ic.ac.uk

Re: Program size - Microblaze

executable.elf is not only program instructions and initialized data.
Research what all an ELF file contains.

--
Dan Henry

Re: Program size - Microblaze

On MicroBlaze, a lot of the standard library functions can swell the executable
massively. For example, don't use printf() if you can avoid it - use the
slimline xil_printf() instead.

Phil

--
Philip Potter pgp <at> doc.ic.ac.uk