processor suggestions please?

suggestions please We use Cirrus' ARM9 9312 on a board, which is big( 28mm square ).

it has built in MAC it has 3 serial ports, though 2 are a bit short on handshake lines. it has built-in LCD graphics

we have so far only used big TQFP ram/flash chips with it.

it has a big brother the 9315 which supports a PCMCIA interface, but we would need to change the artwork to use it.

that's by way of background...

have following pair of customer requirements:

Small board:

1 Ethernet 4 if poss UARTs no graphics Doesn't need Linux or anything - but needs good dev + debug environment Large board 2 Ethernet ( need only be 10 meg ) 1/4 VGA LCD no serial ports in particular. must support Linux or something for display drivers etc. ====================================================

Now I COULD do large board with the cirrus device, and add a 2nd Enet via USB, PCMCIA or knife-and-fork ( memory-mapped or whatever )

I was thinking of something like the AT91RM9200 for the small board. It's blatant overkill, but it has all the boxes ticked. I need to work out what a minimum system including it might be. Oh, and the price :-)

hmmm - see

that would be a good start

there is an example cct for this interfacing it to the Epson S1D13806, which seems to have gone obsolete, but the S1D13506 looks like a less integrated version, and is still around..

So I COULD use the same CPU... with external graphics... still need to kludge on a 2nd Ethernet though.

Can anyone suggest a more integrated solution - where the same technology could be used on both. The customer can wrestle a C compiler, but I am very keen to offer good development and debug facilities to ease the transition.

David David Collier

email can be sent to Dexdyne.com , under name from_usenet@

Reply to
David Collier

Have you considered Coldfire?

Freescale seem to be doing some interesting things. This link shows a scaleable board that would appear to have all of the options that you are referring to...

I believe the Coldfire architecture is mature enough that Freescale have their own tools and there are options from other tool vendors also.

RTOS for the smaller board include VxWorks, ThreadX, Nucleus and RTXC to name a few.

"David Collier" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@dexdyne.zen.co.uk...

Reply to
Sonic

AT91SAM7X256 might do the trick if 256 kB code is OK. Lacks one UART but you might be able to use the USB Device...

CSB637? Needs additional Ethernet. If you have significant volume, then VoIP chips typically have

Or do it in an FPGA. The BADGE from

might be OK.

--
Best Regards,