processor based PCB designs

Hi, I accept that I don't have a previous experience of designing embedded PCB boards, but I feel this should not be problem for me now. I want to design embedded PCB boards with ARM processors in it, some thing like LART and balloon boards projects. Can some one give me the directions for going around for it( like web-sites mentioning aspect of processor based PCB designs)?

manohar

Reply to
manohar

I was in the same boat as you a few years back when I decided I wanted to pursue my dream of designing video game hardware.

It began with months re-reading old texts on AC/DC analysis, Digital Design Concepts and Programmable logic after years just writing Software.

But even when I decided to do it ... I began SMALL ... like with the

6502 8bit processor. First with some RAM and ROM chips and PAL 16vX for glue logic .. then added Parallel (8255) and Serial I/O (8250) Hin232 etc

The leap from there to more advanced processors and enhanced peripherals and I/O shouldnt be too difficult.

Google "webring" and "arm" and "sbc" ... there are tons of hobbyists doing it on there own and learning as they go along

-- SamIam

manohar wrote:

Reply to
samIam

Thanks for the reply Can you please give list of some books /data sheets/web links you used in your project.

manohar

Reply to
manohar

Heres some books that helped me through this process. There are tons but I am packing (going to move to a new place soon so most of my stuff is in cartons)

Besides the classic textbooks we all read on AC/DC analysis and Electronics

  1. Complete Digital Design by Marc Balch
  2. Fabricating Printed Circuit Boards by Jon Varteresian
  3. Digital Electronics book by Tocci
  4. Synertek documentation on the 6502 (after I decided I wanted to design around this processor)
  5. Digital Designing with Programmable Logic Devices by John W. Carter

The BEST book in my library is #5. It is by far the BEST book on the subject of PLD's. What I gained from it is worth its weight in a GOLD. I kid you not.

Early on I had decided I would want to implement glue logic using PAL chips like the 16v8 22v10 etc ... #5 above was the gateway to this ... I had read other books on the subject but none dealth with it as thoroughly as John Carters book.

Its pretty expensive (I got mine cheap because it had some marks on it). I love book so much I am going to scan it page by page to preserve its contents since its no longer being printed.

Reply to
him