Problem with startup of self developed USB device...how to debug ? Without USB hardware analyzer...

Hello,

i have a self developed device (USB 2.0, full speed) which seem to make problems during connecting. WinXP tells me unknown device, VID and PID are both 0. I tried to monitor exchanged frames SnoopyPro seems to capture only frames when a valid VID/PID is available, not before... Because i have no access to a CATC or other hardware monitor, what posibilities are there to track down this error ? Is there any program which can monitor more of startup phase ?

When i connect the device to my WinXP machine with USB 2.0 (and same at Win2K laptop with USB 1.1), i see three times a GET_STATUS request to device and a USB_EVENT_IN to endpoint 0, which i perhaps not answer correctly, than it is silent, no more requests. WinXP tells me unknown device. When i reconnect, same again, three status requests and the USB_EVENT_IN. .

Any tricks how to start to debug with such bugs ?

Regards,

Martin

Reply to
Martin Maurer

I would think that, when developing USB devices, one of the first sane things to do, is to get a USB analyzer...

"Martin Maurer" schreef in bericht news:42ec9c6f$0$40024$ snipped-for-privacy@authen.white.readfreenews.net...

Reply to
Boudewijn Dijkstra

Hi Martin,

Which chip and manufacturer?

How to start: Made a simple sample with the chip on bredboard, based on a manufacturers application note.

For myself I build one with a PIC 18F2550 + crystal, 2 LED, 3 jumper, 1 poti and some C and R. With the sample code I made my 1st steps in shortest time.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Lange