Problem with GDB (PowerPC simulator)

I am trying to get GDB to load PowerPC code, using the included simulator. The test ELF file is a code image occupying 0x50000..0x5BFFF The code builds clean, using GCC/LD.

The problem is, GDB fails trying to load the ELF file. Can anyone see anything wrong with my GDB commands?

Tool versions are: $ powerpc-eabi-gcc gcc version 3.4.2 $ powerpc-eabi-ld GNU ld version 2.15 $ ddd GNU DDD 3.3.9 // Ordinary Cygwin version $ powerpc-eabi-gdb GNU gdb 6.0 The GDB is version 6.0, as later versions fail to build for the "powerpc-eabi" target.

$ startx

// Now in X-window...

$ ddd --debugger powerpc-eabi-gdb myprog.elf GNU DDD 3.3.9 ... ...

// DDD window opens. First test-code lines are displayed

(gdb) target sim -t gdb Connected to the simulator. (gdb) load sim_calls.c:126: sim_load(prog=/cygdrive/y/myprog.elf, from_tty=0) called sim_calls.c:130: sim_load() - first time, create the simulator

// Here's the problem!

/openprom/init/load-binary: broken transfer (gdb)

TIA

Reply to
David R Brooks