Problem with Dallas 80C390

I need to use 80C390 micro controller in my project. I am confused about the download and debug method. Is it true that just through the serial port I can download and debug my code on the target chip? What about the flash programming? What kind of hardware and software I would need to get this work? Thanks a lot.

Reply to
hitsx

Says who?

Well, there isn't one for this CPU.

The 80C390 is somewhat unusual among today's choice of souped-up 8051 controllers in that it has no internal flash memory for code. It's supposed to be used with external code memory (flash or OTP).

No. You can download and debug via any communication link you like, including serial, CAN and the actual memory bus. Judging by the question you're asking, you shouldn't be trying to do this yourself. Get yourself a useful toolset (e.g. Keil's PK51) and use their monitor kernels.

That depends entirely on the flash chip you select to use.

A flash with enough pages that one contain a bootloader to be copied to RAM and run from there. The outlines of such a setup are explained in the Users' Manual.

Reply to
Hans-Bernhard Bröker