PRE-Assembled Rabbit Adapter Boards - 1.27mm --> 0.10 ???

Aaaaugh !!!

Teenie-tiny pin schemes may be ok for robots, but not for human assemblers.

Rabbits 2mm scheme was bad enough, but now I'm working with the RCM-3400 which shrank everything down to a solder-bridge-guarenteed 1.27mm layout.

Rabbit does sell what it calls an adaptor board ... but you get a board and some SM sockets YOU have to solder onto the thing. This doesn't fix the underlying problem ...

So, has anyone run across a manufacturer who makes PRE-assembled adaptor boards for Rabbit modules ... ie has 1.27mm sockets already attached and then expands them to 0.10 pins ordinary Joes can easily work with ?

Reply to
B1ackwater

If they're gull-wing pins then you solder them on by first globbing on solder to make a huge solder bridge, then using solder wick to suck off the excess and leave a nice solder joint on each pin.

Works like a charm.

Has anyone investigated inexpensive microscope solutions? This job is doable with a sharp naked eye or a loupe, but it's a heck of a lot easier with an assembly microscope.

--
http://www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

I used to do it this way, but now I find that I get just as good results - if not better - by tacking down the corners of the part, then putting a metric buttload (must be metric; no inch-pound-foot- acres) of flux on the PCB, and bringing the iron and solder in as close as possible to parallel to the PCB plane and pin direction. Few if any bridges result.

Reply to
zwsdotcom

I believe it is also essential that the mixture used in the flux be specified in MKS units.

 [page]:
            Try the download section.
Reply to
CBFalconer