Practical impracticality.

If there was an embedded systems versions of the IOCCC, this would surely be a winner.

From a post in hackaday.com, how *NOT* to design an embedded system:

-- Roberto Waltman

[ Please reply to the group. Return address is invalid ]
Reply to
Roberto Waltman

I don't know, it seems to have done the job and the maker seems to wish to integragte art & engineering. Quite cool really!

Reply to
Dennis

It depends on what the _real_ design parameters. If we interpret the somewhat broken English literally then pressing the buttons on those specific handsets is the job - that rules out e.g. a smartphone and checking things in software.

Even if that really is the case I doubt many would approach the task in that manner. 26 R/C servos does seem a little excessive

- why not solenoids instead? Or even simpler, repurpose an old pen plotter from ebay and use the pen up/pen down action to strike the buttons.

On the other hand, it may be crude, inefficent and wasteful but it is completed and working. Much better that than a collection of parts to make an "elegant" solution that soak up tens or hundreds of hours and is never actually got to that point.

--
Andrew Smallshaw
andrews@sdf.lonestar.org

Yep, the design is probably a good fit for the context.

Reply to
Dennis

R/C Servos are _cheap_ these days -- probably more so in S. Korea than trying to get a plotter. And solenoids are a lot less reliable for up/down motion than something geared -- witness electric car door locks, which pretty much all use a geared motor scheme these days.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott