PPC eval board

I googled this group and the web and haven't found what I'm looking
for.

Basically I want a PPC board [like a PPC405, something that runs the
basic 32-bit ISA] where I can upload programs [usually <2MiB] and just
test/time them [for writing a bignum math library].

The specs are

PPC [such as 405] + DB9 serial + 16MiB of SDRAM + enough flash/rom for
a boot loader

All I really want from the bootloader is "load" and "go" but
dump/disassemble would be nice.   I'm looking to spend at most 250$ USD
on this.

All I've found so far are 1Ghz boards with 3GiB of ram and a 640x480
LCD, etc, etc, etc.

Any ideas or pointers?

Tom

Re: PPC eval board

There is a post by /Rob/ on comp.os.linux.embedded who is offerring
some used PPC hardware for sale.. try it.

--
Prafulla Harpanhalli

Re: PPC eval board

Why not get a used Mac?  You can probably get one of the original
day-glo iMacs for under $200 (I don't know if those will run OSX
though, you might be stuck with OS9).

Re: PPC eval board

Although it isn't advertised, the OpenWatcom development version has some
very limited PPC support: assembler (called wasppc), C compiler ( wccppc) and
compile/link (wclppc), plus the capability to do remote debugging (don't know
off-hand which links are supported for that). You can cross compiler from
OS/2 and Win32, some tools are available from DOS as well. No C libraries as
yet I think but if you're doing assembler you won't need them. You'll need
the latest daily sources and build the lot (about 5 hours on a 400 MHz
machine), but you only need to do this once. If you need more info go to the
user group at news.openwatcom.org.

Mat Nieuwenhoven

Re: PPC eval board

Understood, but your initial post didn't mention Linux, just GCC. OpenWatcom
isn't proprietary, it's open source (was made open source 4 years ago or so).
It runs on Dos, OS/2, Win32 and Linux (not all tools yet, no graphical ones),
and produces code (can cross-compile) for all those as well (Linux no
multithreading or graphical stuff). Its debugger is way ahead of gdb. As
Watcom's Linux-hosted ppc tool I only see the ppc assembler, probably linker
works as well; but if you need to have a gcc lib it's not gonna work.
Anyway, good luck with your project, I'm using PICs myself (privately).

Mat Nieuwenhoven

Site Timeline