PowerPCB - Trying to panelize a board - Can duplicate reference designators exist?

Hi everyone.
I am trying to panelize a board using PowerPCB via copy and paste.
Unfortunately, I cannot use duplicate reference designators. Does anyone
know how to allow duplicate reference designators? Does this option exist?

Or if someone can suggest an easier way to put multiple PCBs into one board,
please tell me.
Chris

Re: PowerPCB - Trying to panelize a board - Can duplicate reference designators exist?
Johnny,

1)    Your fabricator will usually do the panelization and give
you back a composite Gerber for solder stencil generation at no
charge. This way they are identical. (Or even all layers for the
panel, it is just the Gerbers they generated anyway, no extra
cost to them.)
2)    Since you are doing multiples of one board the assembler
only needs a single board P&P list with the panel board
orientations and offsets. Your offsets should be measured between
the same fiducial on each board. Don't measure to board edges or
holes, measure to one fiducial (copper).

--
Sincerely,
Brad Velander

Re: PowerPCB - Trying to panelize a board - Can duplicate reference designators exist?

I've written a program called GerbMerge that puts multiple
PCB's onto one board. It currently only supports Eagle, Orcad,
and PCB. If you send me your Gerber and Excellon files, I can
try to upgrade its parser support to also allow PowerPCB files
to be panelized.

You can check out GerbMerge at:

  http://claymore.engineer.gvsu.edu/~steriana/Python

--
Assistant Professor           | <http://claymore.engineer.gvsu.edu/~steriana
Re: PowerPCB - Trying to panelize a board - Can duplicate reference designators exist?

: > I am trying to panelize a board using PowerPCB via copy and
paste.
: > Unfortunately, I cannot use duplicate reference designators.
Does anyone
: > know how to allow duplicate reference designators? Does this
option exist?
: >
:
: I've written a program called GerbMerge that puts multiple
: PCB's onto one board. It currently only supports Eagle, Orcad,
: and PCB. If you send me your Gerber and Excellon files, I can
: try to upgrade its parser support to also allow PowerPCB files
: to be panelized.
: You can check out GerbMerge at:
:   http://claymore.engineer.gvsu.edu/~steriana/Python

I use "CAMtastic 2000" for panelizing.
Read about it at:
http://www.altium.com/corp/media/pdfs/mr_cam_201200.pdf

Re: PowerPCB - Trying to panelize a board - Can duplicate reference designators exist?

Oddly enough, the low price PCB vendors mostly have heartburn with user
panelization. I tried to get a 0.5" x 0.6" board done at a reasonable
price once.  Even though the minimum pricing for a board was $12 based
on a 20 sq in size, they would not let me panelize this.  I had to
search around for a house that would give both a good price and allow
panelization.  I ended up paying around $.30 each IIRC, but it took a
lot of looking.

--

Rick "rickman" Collins

snipped-for-privacy@XYarius.com