powerpc jtag/cop

Hi,

Why powerpc debug tools are so expensive?

Does anybody know low-cost USB powerpc jtag/cop ?

Amontec website mentions about USB version of Chameleon POD but no informayion for now.

Macraigor cheapest usb hardware is $225 + they sell their flash programming software for $500.

Any chance to find some open hardware-software combination?

thanks

Reply to
tesla

All PPC development hardware is expensive, because the volumes are low. Eval boards are expensive too.

Don't expect to find a cheap USB solution, or a homebrew one. It is however easy enough to build a Wiggler clone. The standard parallel port wiggler is a multi-ended device (look inside an original Macraigor wiggler...) and can support the PPC debug port.

Reply to
larwe

Not because the volumes are low. All PPC debug registers are JTAG accessible, the real price of a JTAG cable is negligible.

The reason why the tools are expensive is the fact that Freescale keep the interface secret - and award the "busyness" of making tools to someone they - and not the market - choose to. However, the PPC parts can be debugged without using the secret debug areas. I manage to do that without missing those secret areas at all, boundary scan and PPC alone are quite sufficient. Frankly, I don't think having their secret data (they call it a "COP" interface not to be confused with the COP timer on other systems) would bring me much benefit, I am fine as things are.

To the OP: I have made a debug monitor for the MPC5200 public (free for development purposes), you can locate it under "downloads" on our website.

Dimiter

Didi

If you have a chance listen to this

It is all about wiki cooperation, maybe the JTAG syndrome will be broken

Martin

Reply to
Martin Griffith

I have seen parallel port wiggler schematic and openwince jtag software port to debug/program kurobox. but my computer does not have parallel port. USB2parallel port emulators does not work for such devices (par port i/ o) pcmcia or expresscard parallel ports may work, i havent tried. I believe pcmcia ones are *real* parallel ports.

Reply to
tesla