Porting Linux

Hi

I have a real fundamental question.. Hoping someone point me to some plausible answers.

  1. What is meant by porting of a Operating System???

  1. What does say porting uCLinux onto LPC2148 do to the board.. in the sense that, how does it change its functionality??

thanks heaps

techie.

Reply to
techie.embedded

Make the operating system operational on this system

It adds the functionality of the operating system

Having an ethernet chip on a board means there is an ethernet chip. Adding an OS to it means the board could act as webserver.

Rene

Rene Tschaggelar

Alter the source code as necessary then run it thru a compiler for the desired platform.

Reply to
JeffM

Thanks for that members.

That helped.