Portable AVR programmer?

I have a customer who has a bunch of AVR devices out in the field, mostly
screwed to the ceiling (wireless). He wishes to upgrade to latest S/W but
wants minimum down time (no kidding).

I'm looking for a low cost portable solution i.e. a PDA and dongle say. So a
tech can upgrade the customer sites in situ.

Thanks for any pointers

Mark

Re: Portable AVR programmer?

Is this convenient enough for you?
https://www.kanda.com/shopnav/shop.php3?bc=direct&bw=/browse.php3?partno=KF0
020

Peter

Re: Portable AVR programmer?
Thanks moocowmoo,

It's a start.
The system is a "wireless point of sale" setup with remote base stations and
Palm 515's all with a AVR/RF module. I was really looking for something
using the the Palms since they are already on site. Software upgrades could
be mailed out and loaded without additional equipment, which is quite a
saving considering the number of different sites that need to be covered.

Mark

mostly
but
So
https://www.kanda.com/shopnav/shop.php3?bc=direct&bw=/browse.php3?partno=KF0

Re: Portable AVR programmer?

What you really want then is an AVR, say, interfaced to a Palm, that
will program the AVR in your units?

Leon

Re: Portable AVR programmer?

How about using a Toshiba Libretto 50/70/100/110 (readily available on
eBay) and an ISP dongle? The Libretto is a Pentium laptop roughly the
size of a VHS videocassette. I use one for my email and writing (and
as a portable hard drive). Expect to pay about $180 on eBay.

Re: Portable AVR programmer?

So a

Thanks Lewin

My first thoughts were of a Lap/Palm top since it is a "native" PC. But the
customer has sites all over the planet and the cost started to escalate for
that many field techs - hence the Palm idea since the customer already has a
bunch of these.

Mark

Re: Portable AVR programmer?

I got that email too....
He'll be wanting one of these perhaps:
http://www.atmel.com/dyn/products/tools_card.asp?tool_id27%26

Greg the Grog

p.s. Did you get Ted's pressure sensor sorted?
My info. from last time.
2k2 is correct for the Rgain. G = 22.222222' + 1
0.84mV * 23.222222 = 19.5mV / PSI
ADC in 8bit mode w/5Vref = 19.53mV / bit.
The ADC result is then in PSI and sent to the top for conversion
based on 1.47PSI / M or 0.45PSI / ft. (3.25ft/M)
Near enough for rock and roll.
(14.7PSI / Atmos) (1Atmos = 10M in salt water)

255PSI max.  (on a 250PSI sensor)
If he can get down to 173M on 100M cable then he's got bigger
problems than pressure gauge accuracy.  :-)

Re: Portable AVR programmer?
Grogster,

Hmmm this one is similar to the Kanda one - Got something for the Palm ? I
guess it doesn't exist (yet)... Right out with the Code Warrior and that
nice little USB chip from FTDI. How long could it take.......

Yeah, turns out it all runs off 5V anyways. Cranked it up to 90psi and bingo
200ft popped up on the screen. Had to change ZERO_OFFSET to get it to match
5V setup. Game over (I hope).....

MarkyMark

Re: Portable AVR programmer?

http://www.prllc.com/prllc_homemainPalm-Pilot.htm