polyphonic tones generation

Do anyone know about FMS for polyphonic tones generation? I am working on FMS( Frequency Modulation Synthesis), but found that it is difficult to find out the envelop, C:M ratio for some instrument, say piano. Can anyone kindly help me on this?

Monica

Reply to
Monica

I'm not sure what your asking, but when I used to synthesize real musical instruments and sounds, I found it very helpful to capture the actual instrument tones on a storage oscilloscope and dial in my synthesis visually. Piano BTW is an extremely difficult instrument to emulate due to the complex mechanical attack characteristics and the harmonic interaction between strings due to sympathetic vibration.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Stephens

I am pretty sure you will find TONS of papers on this subject as it has been a popular synthesis approach since about 1980. Yamaha's DX7 for instance. I recall a great deal of Stamford notes on the subject.

piano.

Reply to
nappy

You will also want to search for Chowning as far as FM synthesis goes.

For instance, from google...

boB

Reply to
boB