Please Help!! Single Board Computer and USB

I know this is probably an easy question for some of you, but here's
what I am trying to do:

Use a single board computer (ie Zworld's Rabbit Processor) to read a
USB device such as Memory Stick or Digital Camera. The Rabbit board
has serial ports, but not USB port. Have any of you done anything like
this??

Thanks in Advance,

JS

Re: Please Help!! Single Board Computer and USB

It's not an easy question. Host-side USB is very difficult to implement.
Yes it can be done. Trying to do it - especially inside Rabbit's
baroque, nonstandard environment - is very painful. I would abandon the
idea of USB and interface directly to a media type, e.g. CompactFlash.

Re: Please Help!! Single Board Computer and USB

The problem is that I have to be able to read data from a digital
camera. All of the lower end Digital Cameras only have a USB
interface. Any suggestions?

Re: Please Help!! Single Board Computer and USB

So don't use those cameras, then.  Actually I don't think there are
all that many cameras around that have a USB port but no removable
storage media.  Well, setting aside dedicated webcams, that is.

Re: Please Help!! Single Board Computer and USB

If you are talking about cameras with non-removable media (webcams,
pencams) then I've got one word for you: Fuggedaboutit. You would need
to write drivers for every single camera chipset out there. You would
need to keep updating VID/PID tables, at least, practically on a daily
basis to keep up with new product releases. The ONLY way you can
contemplate supporting those sorts of cameras is via a mainstream OS
where someone else is doing the driver work for you.

If you are talking about cameras with removable media - Support the
media directly. It's much less trouble!

Re: Please Help!! Single Board Computer and USB

Have a look at www.ftdichip.com. Maybe their widget can solve your problem.

Re: Please Help!! Single Board Computer and USB

Has anyone priced these?  I usually buy QTY=1,000 for a prototype and
then satrt putting in regular QTY10%0,000 to QTY=1,000,000orders once
production starts, so those are the prive points I am interested in.

Re: Please Help!! Single Board Computer and USB
On 21 Sep 2004 14:44:39 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hmctech.com (Junior Sanders)

The easiest to do this is to get a module / device that does most of
the stuff for you. Atmel has a number of USB host devices which looks
fairly easy to hook up to an embedded micro. AFACR they already
support the profiles needed for accesing a USB flash disk or similar
device.

Regards
   Anton Erasmus

Site Timeline