picstart+ flash update??

There's an update for the Picstart+ that puts in a flash part in place of the 17c44? Is there more to it than building the adapter board. Our hobby group could save a bunch of bux by haywiring in the new chips. It'd be cheaper to build PIC programmers from scratch than to buy the updates. Of course, then we'd need the code to put in 'em. Anybody reverse engineered this? Thanks, mike

--
Return address is VALID.
500MHz Tek DSOscilloscope TDS540