PICs: Getting started, which chips will I use in the future?

Hello all,

I've been a programmer for many years (mostly higher level languages) but I do have some experience with 16-bit x86 assembly and the M68HC11 microcontroller. I've decided to learn how to program PICs and I'm looking to sample a few from the microchip website but there are so many to choose from. What chip would you recommend to a beginner? I'd ideally like to have a few ADC inputs and DAC outputs for use eventually. I am trying to decide which PIC programmer to buy, and I want to make sure I buy something that will support my later needs. Will I likely use the 18F series? If you were to buy a PIC programmer today what is the highest chip it would need to support? Thanks for your time! Happy Holidays!

Kyle

Reply to
Kyle

As a rule of thumb, do not use PIC. It is unhealthy for the mind. PIC24 might be not too bad, though.

Based on your experience try MC9S12 family. Decent chips, lot of different options. $99+169 PEmicro BDM programmer can program all chips in 9S12 family. Compiler-friendly, Freescale has a free C-compiler for them. It has 32K code limit, bat it is more than enough for small projects.

--
WBR, Yuriy.
"Resistance is futile"

I agree with Yuriy that PIC is a bad learning platform, although my recommendation would be MSP430. However note that you're not going to find terribly many parts with on-chip DACs; mostly this functionality is achieved through PWM.

Reply to
larwe

SiLabs have parts with DACs and very good learning platforms. ( USB connections to On-Chip-Debug)

F330 has 10 bit DAC, and F41x have 12bit DACs.

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

Hi Kyle, I would recommend using the ICD2 programmer from Microchip. It will program most of their chips. The 18 series is probably the easiest to use. The DAC you would use PWM or a resistor network. If using PWM watch out for phase modulation induced distortion. Rocky

Reply to
Rocky

Newbies start here:

hope this helps. Don...

--
Don McKenzie
E-Mail Contact Page:               http://www.dontronics.com/e-mail.html

Crystal clear, super bright OLED LCD (128x128) for your microcontroller.
Simple serial RX/TX interface. Many memory sizes.
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/product.php?productid=16460
Reply to
Don McKenzie

"larwe" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@80g2000cwy.googlegroups.com...

some MSP430 have ADC and DAC..

to come back to PIC, I will begin with PIC24 soon and apart the docs still not complete, they look good. but you also probably could begin with PIC18.. for me, I'll never go under PIC18.

and to program/debug, I think that ICD2 is the better way, but maybe buying a clone on ebay could be an option.. the IDE is free and the C compiler is free for 60 days and transform to a "student" version after - optimisation are disabled - but you can use it forever..

Fred.

Reply to
Fred*

I use the IDE made by CCS, Inc. It cost about $300 and was well worth it.

I use it to make all kinds of gadgets. Since I am not a professional programmer, I don't see the "limitations" that professions see. It works for me and the PICs are inexpensive. I use 12C508A's and 12C509A' like jelly beans. Buy a stick of then and have fun. Then move up to the more demanding projects. I am now using 16F877A's and the like

My programmer is a PICall. It does all I need and the price is less than $100 for a kit.

Al

Reply to
Al

If you want to stay in HLL realm, stay away from PICs. There is few off-shelf toolchains, but I still have to see a good conforming stable one.

Now that I warned you and you still keep reading, I am going to answer your questions.

ADC - many Microchip micros have it. Usually 10-bit, PIC24 has 12-bit.

DAC - Microchip does not have micros with DAC. They have separate SPI circuit(s).

Programmer - inexpensive ICD2 works with all Microchip families. PICkit2 has potential but debugger works for one model only right now.

PIC10, PIC12 - stay away for learning.

PIC16 - Get PIC16F876 (DIP28 0.3") or PIC16F877 (DIP40)

PIC18 - Best 8-bit for learning. Check parametric product selector.

PIC24 - good 16-bit micro. Coming to DIP version in 2007/Q1. I think there is free download of C30 compiler.

Roman

-- Check-out my online store for well priced PICs and ICD2 clone.

Roman

For PIC16 the PIC16F876A (28pin) or PIC16F877A The Hi-Tech PIC LITE (Free) Version supports these. Others may disagree , But C Helps hide the poor architecture. It is an 8 bit cpu if you "int" and "float" all your variables it will not go well.

the PIC18F4520 (Improved PIC18F452) would be a good starting point.

The ICD2 is a great start. It programs and emulates.

Do not be confused by the selection. PIC is low end. The choice is the same parts minus some features. Many PIC project care about a few cents (or 1 cent) a part.

Reply to
Neil

I agree with Neil, get the A revisions of the chips, i.e. PIC16F876A / PIC16F877A.

Roman

Reply to
me47

Isn't the A revision of the 876/877 just a die shrunk version?

Reply to
The Real Andy

No. I know they added some comparitors.

Reply to
James Beck

You may want to check-out also new micros 16F886 and 16F887. They just released them last month and are supposed to be successors to above chips. Have all resources that 16F876A and 16F877A have and are cheaper too.

Reply to
Roman