PICKIT2 Programming Problem

I am trying to program a PIC16F77 using a PICKit2 programmer. This isfor a project that was completed a long time ago and I'm now trying toupdate it. The programmer correctly IDs the device and I can load thehex file and program it. When I verify it, I get a verification successful message. However, when I plug the device into my workingcircuit (verified with a previously working MCU), it won't do anything. All of the I/O pins read 0V even if I try to drive them high. I've tried programming 4 other 16F77s and a 16F84A all with the same result- successful programming and verification, yet they don't work in a circuit. I've tried programming with a PICKit2 clone from Sure Electronics and with the one from Microchip, but get the same results with each. If the MCUs are bad, I wouldn't expect the verify to pass. I've read about the possible need of adding an external power supply in the event the USB cable can't supply the proper programming voltage. Could that be the problem, and how would I go about doing that? I have the programmer hooked up to a board with a DIP ZIF socket. Any ideas?

Thanks

Reply to
mcki0127

What about the fuses that set the Oscillator mode, etc.? Are you programming them correctly? They are seperate from the hex file....

Reply to
Bill Chernoff

I've tried using a 4MHz and a 20MHz crystal oscillator (20MHz in the existing circuit) and 20pF capacitors. I've also tried setting the configuration bit to XT and HS, but still get the same results.

Reply to
mcki0127

I have the same problem. However, when I make my program smaller than 180 bytes it works. Go figure...

Reply to
poke