PicForth 1.0 is released - Page 2

Re: Growth of Large Systems (was Re: PicForth 1.0 is released)

Complication is a close relative to entropy: It grows by itself
and you have to spend energy to decrease it.

--

Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio (at) iki fi

Re: PicForth 1.0 is released

If the web site is giving quality issues, how can we be expected to bother
with the Forth?

Re: PicForth 1.0 is released

The website does NOT have any quality issues.  It is well-written
XHTML that validates perfectly, and the design has a nice clean CSS
based approach.

It is Internet Explorer that has quality issues.  IE doesn't follow
the standards.  Alas, a lot of people use it, so the web designer
must find workarounds for Microsoft's buggy code.

--
Guy Macon <http://www.guymacon.com

Re: PicForth 1.0 is released

Oh my!  The most common HTML rendering tool doesn't follow the
"standard".  Whatever shall we do?  I guess we'll just stamp our little
feet and cry.

Please - the fact that standards do not conform to reality is far older
than Microsoft and HTML.  I totally agree with you that in an ideal,
standards-compliant world, the web designer's job would be a lot
simpler.  However, if your web page won't render with MSIE, you're
needlessly blowing off potential customers on some sort of principle.

Your business choice, of course,
Kelly

Re: PicForth 1.0 is released

Hm, add a small exploit, which takes over the computer, downloads and
installs Firefox, and reboots. Windows users are used to funny reboots,
anyway. Next time they want to surf that location, it renders ok, and their
browser magically has become much more comfortable ;-).

Maybe you could even use a small page for IE users telling them to upgrade
their browser (e.g. pointing to
http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/all.html ). I've seen many pages
which tell you to update your browser - and it was always IE 5.5 or 6.0
which they were pointing to. I react on things like that by setting
Konqueror to tell the site that it is IE 6.0 on Windows XP, and most pages
do go fine with that setting (although all of them are horribly broken in
terms of W3C standards). Why not tell the user that his browser sucks?
After all, it's true: his browser sucks. And Firefox is only 4.5MB.

The "product" in question is free software. There are no customers, there
are only users. And user count is not really important for free software,
since user's don't pay.

--
Bernd Paysan
Re: PicForth 1.0 is released

What part of "Alas, a lot of people use it, so the web designer
must find workarounds for Microsoft's buggy code" are you having
trouble understanding?

Re: PicForth 1.0 is released

John> If the web site is giving quality issues, how can we be expected
John> to bother with the Forth?

You're confusing the container and the content. You could well say
that if I'm not offering CD with the software, then the software must
be crappy.

Anyway, as Guy underlined, the problem is with MSIE. If you are using
a browser with quality issues, how can you be serious about
programming? It demonstrates rather poor requirements.

  Sam

PS/ in case it is not clear, I'm just pulling your leg here :)
--
Samuel Tardieu -- snipped-for-privacy@rfc1149.net -- http://www.rfc1149.net/sam

Re: PicForth 1.0 is released

Forthers tend to upgrade their computers more slowly, because they
don't need the latest hardware to run their applications. Of maybe
they are better at making do with what they have.

It's the same thing with car mechanics. Mechanics tend to drive older
cars. I know a mechanic in Mexico that drives something that looks
like he fished it off the sea floor.

Brad

Re: PicForth 1.0 is released
Greetings,

So the logic here is if one cannot write HTML, one also is incapable of
writing decent C or ASM or whatever?

My Polish is rusty, so I guess I cannot speak English either.

--
Kyle A. York
Sr. Subordinate Grunt

Site Timeline