PicForth 1.0 is released

PicForth 1.0 has been released today. PicForth is a Forth
cross-compiler running on Unix hosts (tested on FreeBSD) and
targetting the Microchip 16F8xx family of microcontrollers.

PicForth 1.0 is hosted by gforth 0.6.2. For more information, please
look at:

    http://www.rfc1149.net/devel/picforth /

PicForth 1.0 is mature and is already used in production at several
places.

  Sam
--
Samuel Tardieu -- snipped-for-privacy@rfc1149.net -- http://www.rfc1149.net/sam

Re: PicForth 1.0 is released

I can't access the homepage
error 406 not acceptable

Cheers
Rune

Re: PicForth 1.0 is released

That's peculiar...I just tried it and it worked fine....bad connection
maybe?  maybe if you reboot?

Re: PicForth 1.0 is released

Rune> I can't access the homepage error 406 not acceptable

It means that your browser didn't accept any of the possible versions
for this page:

URI: picforth

URI: picforth.html.fr.gz

URI: picforth.html.en.gz

URI: picforth.html.fr

URI: picforth.html.en

URI: picforth.html.en

Is your browser configure to automatically accept either english or
french, even if it is not the preferred choice?

What browser on what OS are you using?

  Sam
--
Samuel Tardieu -- snipped-for-privacy@rfc1149.net -- http://www.rfc1149.net/sam

Re: PicForth 1.0 is released

Internet Explorer 6.0
Windows XP SP2

Rune

Re: PicForth 1.0 is released
From the about box I found the following version string
Internet Explorer 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158

You wrote http://www.rfc1149.net/devel/picforth/ in your first post.

I have found the page at http://www.rfc1149.net/devel/picforth.html.en

http://www.rfc1149.net/devel/picforth don't work
http://www.rfc1149.net/devel/picforth.html don't work

http://www.rfc1149.net/ gives
Not Acceptable
An appropriate representation of the requested resource /index.var could not
be found on this server.
Available variants:

  a.. index.html.fr.gz version franšaise du document index, type text/html,
language fr, encoding compress/gzip
  b.. index.html.en.gz english version of document index, type text/html,
language en, encoding compress/gzip
  c.. index.html.fr version franšaise du document index, type text/html,
language fr
  d.. index.html.en english version of document index, type text/html,
language en

Apache/1.3.31 Server at www.rfc1149.net Port 80

Cheers
Rune

Re: PicForth 1.0 is released

Rune> index.html.en english version of document index, type text/html,
Rune> language en

Indeed. It looks like your MSIE browser doesn't like english documents
when several choices are available and your language (Danish?) is not.

I don't know MSIE, but under Firefox you can configure what languages
you accept and which ones you do prefer. See

(once you've tasted tabbed browsing you can't come back to a browser
unable to do it :-)

  Sam
--
Samuel Tardieu -- snipped-for-privacy@rfc1149.net -- http://www.rfc1149.net/sam

Re: PicForth 1.0 is released

When I clicked on

http://www.rfc1149.net/devel/picforth /

I got taken to

http://www.rfc1149.net/devel/picforth.html.en

which is OK for me with IE 6.

Leon

Re: PicForth 1.0 is released

You don't see a graphic covering up the first word ("PicForth")?

Re: PicForth 1.0 is released

Hello

Earlier I also had problems with the homepage but now I'm also transferred
to the right page. I have not done any changes in IE6 since last post.

But the graphic is still covering the H in PICFORTH

Cheers
Rune

Re: PicForth 1.0 is released

Guy> I am seeing the line "PicForth: Forth compiler for PIC
Guy> microcontrollers" on top of the link at the upper right, and with
Guy> the graphic of the computer on top of it.

Thanks, fixed :)

  Sam
--
Samuel Tardieu -- snipped-for-privacy@rfc1149.net -- http://www.rfc1149.net/sam

Re: PicForth 1.0 is released

It now looks great on Netscape 7.2, Mozilla FireFox 1.0 and Opera 7.54,
("Picforth" top and center) but Internet Explorer 6.0.2800.1106 puts
the "Picforth" header all the way to the left, where the graphic
cuts it off so that it reads "PicFor".

Try removing the <?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?> at the
top.  It is optional in XHTML, and triggers a bug in IE that makes
it go into quirks mode rather than standards-compliance mode.

If that doesn't work, try setting margin-left: auto; margin-right: auto
and possibly width: 50% or width: 100% on the h1 in your CSS.

What I am thinking is that margin-left: auto; margin-right: auto;
centers a block level element, text-align: center; centers the
inline content of a block level element, and MSIE has bugs that
result in it treating some block level content as inline content
when in quirks mode.

Re: PicForth 1.0 is released

Guy> Try removing the <?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?> at
Guy> the top.  It is optional in XHTML, and triggers a bug in IE that
Guy> makes it go into quirks mode rather than standards-compliance
Guy> mode.

Yes, I know this one, but I'll be honest: I don't care if MSIE users
have a problem because of a MSIE bug. I think it will be a disservice
to the community as:

  - other browsers (especially Firefox) are freely available, much
    better in my opinion and more secure

  - if people prefer to use MSIE (for any reasons, they may for
    example prefer the look and feel of MSIE over other browsers one),
    they should ask their vendor (Microsoft in this case) to get the
    bug fixed and get the standards respected

  - the more people use MSIE, the more sites will continue to be
    MSIE-only - this is against my interests (as MSIE can't run on any
    of my systems) and against the interests of the Free Software
    community

Thanks anyway for your suggestions Guy, I'll keep them around if I
really need them.

 Sam
--
Samuel Tardieu -- snipped-for-privacy@rfc1149.net -- http://www.rfc1149.net/sam

Re: PicForth 1.0 is released

Funny, I am looking at your page in Internet Explorer and it looks just fine.
I guess it is easier to write quality products for the Mac.  :)

And I concur.  As consumers we should demand quality in our software,
as with any other product.

Well done on getting to 1.0!  Now if only it supported the 18xx PICs we could
use it on our rocket....    (http://psas.pdx.edu /)

Ian Osgood

Re: PicForth 1.0 is released

I know you meant it as a joke, but it turns out to be true.
When I study bug lists for MS IE, MS Office, etc. I often find
a note saying that the Mac version works fine.  I hardly ever
find the opposite.

Re: PicForth 1.0 is released
On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 00:55:18 +0000, the renowned Guy Macon

Jaguar owners are like that too.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Re: PicForth 1.0 is released

    Windows is a fiendishly difficult OS to write programs for (and don't
even think about mentioning device drivers).  When I started working on my
Windows Forth system, I expected to spend maybe a few weeks (or at most a
few months) learning what I needed to know.  I can get a handle on most
operating systems is a few days.  It took months to learn enough to even
know where to start.  If I had even dreamed that it would take several
years, I would have run away screaming before I started.

    Microsoft's motto should be "complex answers to simple problems".

--
-GJC [MS Windows SDK MVP]
-Software Consultant (Embedded systems and Real Time Controls)

   The fancy theory of computing gets involved with things like
algorithms executing in n log n steps. The less fancy theories
are concerned with optimizing compilers, pipelines and clock
speeds. But the main limitation to what can be computed is the
understanding of programmers. Gary's remarks on Windows
documentation are not side issues. They are about the limiting
step. Software and hardware will grow until the systems cannot
be properly documented. Software development has to stop when
programmers can not find bugs fast enough. The large computer
companies stop growing when their technical writers can no
longer understand what their engineers and code writers are
doing. Free software advocates have spent decades showing that
making all the source code available is absolutely necessary.
The next important step is seeing that the clarity of that
source code is also vital. I wish that wouldn't take so long.

    Forth started out showing how many levels of complexity of
operating systems could be removed. Why does anybody need the
multimegabytes of Windows to program something small and simple
like a Pic controller? Its because very few people learn how to
use Forth. And many Forth developers are trying to use Forth as
part of a giant software system instead of using it to create a
simple software system.

--
Michael Coughlin     snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net   Cambridge, MA USA

Re: Growth of Large Systems (was Re: PicForth 1.0 is released)

Rule 1:

 Knowing when to call it quits and go home:  You create two
 bugs for every one you fix.

Rule 2:

 If all the bugs are fixed the software is obsolete.

You don't if you still have all the old DOS based Parallax
tools ...

Strunk was wrong, the mantra is "Complicate, complicate, complicate".

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
Consulting Engineer:  Electronics; Informatics; Photonics.

No, he got the mantra right.  You wouldn't need to keep repeating
the mantra if it was the way that things went in the ordinary
run of things.

Site Timeline