PIC24 Host

Hey everyone. I am a final year engineering student and my project is to
capture data from a USB Blood Sugar Meter(It is a Mass storage device)
through a PIC microcontroller acting as a USB host. Now i am a newbie and i
need help regarding about what development tools to use. Some say i should
use PICkit2 to program, others recommend i should buy PIC explorer 16 Dev
board. I am confused about what hardware to use. Till now i have decided to
use PIC24FJ64GA004.

Please ANY help/guidance will be MUCH appreciated.

P.S oh yes ! it HAS to be a PIC. i am not using Atmel or AVR.

Please just put me in a right direction.

THANKS.
Aimen.

---------------------------------------

Re: PIC24 Host

First YOU should learn the difference between USB HOST and USB SLAVE.

The PIC24FJ64GA004 is fine, but it does not have any USB support.

see http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/39881b.pdf for details.

The pickit2 will work fine if you have a PCB with chips soldered on it
already.

If not, buying a pre-assembled PIC board would be a good idea.

good luck, let us know if you get this done in time.

hamilton

Re: PIC24 Host
You are right sir, it isn't.. therefore i have now planned to use
PIC24FJ256GB110, this supports USB OTG capability.

Example ? Are you talking about Explorer 16 Dev Board ?
If you could just tell me that i could use the dev board without PICkit 2.
I have my own universal burner that i will use to bun the program.. What do
you think ?

Btw you guys really put me in a right direction.

---------------------------------------

Re: PIC24 Host

That doesn't add up.  If it's a mass storage device, then the data has
_already_ been captured by that device.  There's no capturing left to do
by you.

That's going to be tricky.  _Real_ tricky.  Being a USB host requires a
serious processor.  PICs generally aren't.

Is that qualified to be a USB _host_?

Be careful you don't put yourself on an impossible mission there.

Re: PIC24 Host

I think the OP may mean that they want to read out the existing data
on the device and that it presents itself as a mass storage device
when data extraction is required.

Depends on the PIC range. The PIC32MX has OTG capability in some of it's
devices, although if you want to do anything serious (with any significant
memory requirements for example), I still think that will not be viable.

A quick look on the Microchip website would seem to suggest no.

However, the PIC24FJ64GB004 (instead of PIC24FJ64GA004) does appear to
have OTG capability.

If the chip has to have Microchip written on it, I wonder if the OP
will find more headroom with a PIC32MX ?

Simon.

Re: PIC24 Host
This is exactly what we plan to do. We want to read the data stored in that
sugar meter.

significant

PIC24FJ256GB004 has OTG capability.

what Development tool would you suggest Sir ? Please reply me and thanks
for the previous reply.

---------------------------------------

Re: PIC24 Host

I see in your other response you have chosen another PIC24.

Once you have read the data from the device, what do you intend to do
with it ?

In other words, are you going to have, for example, enough RAM present in
your chosen PIC24 device to be able to process your data once you have
read it from the device ?

What are you going to use for the USB host stack ? Are you allowed to
use the Microchip example stack, or do you have to write your own basic
stack as part of your project ?

I will let others here make some PIC32MX toolkit suggestions; I only came
across this device a couple of months ago, and while evaluating it is on
my todo list, I have not done anything with it yet.

[The initial approach I intend to take with the PIC32MX is to use a
recent mainstream FSF gcc toolchain (not the Microchip supplied version),
write my own headers/startup code and use the AVR based programmer I
built to program PIC18F MCUs, but with software enhancements to support
the PIC32MX.

I doubt this type of approach would be suitable for you and would suggest
you look at existing PIC32MX toolkit options if you find the PIC24
to not be suitable, but do find the PIC32MX to be suitable.]

To get you started however, Olimex make PIC32MX boards, so you may want
to ask on the Sparkfun forums what development environments people are
using with those boards.

Simon.

Re: PIC24 Host
On Mar 25, 9:46A0%am, "peenukimaa"

PICKIT3.

Work fine for PIC24FJDAs and PIC32MXs, both with USB Host.  I would go
for PIC32, simple because i don't see much savings in PIC24.

Site Timeline