PIC16F877 v PIC16LF877

Hello all

I have tested one of each of the above pics in a circuit which just lights a led on PortB,0 via a 470 ohm. The clock is a 4MHz crystal. Both stop working at 4.0V although the 'LF should work down to 2.0V. By stop working I mean the led goes out (suddenly) and the osc stops. I've tried 2 different LF chips with the same result. Config is Power on reset, Brown out reset and XT osc. Any ideas please? Dave.

Reply to
Dave

It's probably the Brown Out Reset. If you look at the datasheet, VBOR is typically 4.0V, even for the LF.

Reply to
Gary Kato

I think you need to disable the Brownout detector to go below ~3.6V.

Jim

Reply to
James Beck

You don't have enough voltage left to drive the LED on. ~1.6 to 2v needed for most LEDS and you will need to adjust the resistor values. Assume there is 2V at the output, the resistor needs to be ( assuming 10ma if current and 1.6 Vf),

R= (2-1.6)/.01 = 40 ohms

Regards, Wayne

working

Reply to
Wayne

Please don't toppost. As far as led drive current is concerned, the simple answer is to use a current mirror, which can be very effective down to quite low voltages. You can get the reference for the current mirror from a diode drop and a resistor, after which you can use multiplicative effects to concentrate the current drain in the LED drive. Although the technique is primarily used in linear IC's, you can have the same effect with discretes, and especially with packages of multiple transistors.

I would expect to get something like 10% or better regulation of LED current with supply voltages in the 2 to 10 V. range.

     USE worldnet address!
Reply to
CBFalconer

working

Thanks Guys, Disabled the Brownout reset and all works fine. Sometimes you just can't see the wood for the trees! I'm not too worried about the Leds dimming, the circuit only has to work down to about 3V. How did we ever manage without Newsgroups and the 'net, Thanks again for your help. Dave.

Reply to
Dave

"Dave" wrote in news:bdffsj$grk$ snipped-for-privacy@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk:

The brown out problem has caught more than one of us. Some of the newer PIC18 family are pin compatible and have a programmable level for the brownout threshold.

The only difference between a 16F part and a 16LF is the promise. They are certainly manufactured from the same die.

--
Al Clark
Danville Signal Processing, Inc.

Apparently with an EEPROM-trimmed internal bandgap reference.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany