PIC16F648A - to wastebasket !!!

How Microchip reacted onto problems with PIC16F648A :

 > 3. Module: Data EEPROM Memory
 > 1. PIC16F648A Silicon revision A1.
 > Unexpected program execution may occur during
 > data EEPROM write cycles.
 > Work around
 > Execute a SLEEP instruction immediately after
 > setting the EECON1 WR bit and allow the EEIF to
 > wake the processor from Sleep. This requires the
 > PEIE bit of the INTCON register and the EEIE bit
 > of the PIE1 register to be set. All other interrupt
 > enables must be cleared so that only the EE write
 > completion will wake the processor.

Source :

http://www.microchip.com/download/lit/suppdoc/errata/80151e.pdf

Any my "workaround" : wastebasket !!!!

or simply "sleep" Microchip ! This is silly and offensive !

--
Grzegorz Zalot

complex ltd.
Re: PIC16F648A - to wastebasket !!!

I feel your pain. Sounds like it's time to visit TI for the MSP430.

--
- Mark ->
--

Re: PIC16F648A - to wastebasket !!!
Hallo Mark A. Odell !:

We make one design with msp430f435 (C IDE430 from Romania) and we are very
satisfied !

I think on Motorola ..... or the new 51' from Philips !

--
Grzegorz Zalot

complex ltd.
Re: PIC16F648A - to wastebasket !!!

How about Atmel AVR's?

Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio @ iki fi

Re: PIC16F648A - to wastebasket !!!

8051's are always good, IMHO.

Yes, Grzegorz you should definitely check out the AVR's. Clean
architecure.

--
- Mark ->
--

Re: PIC16F648A - to wastebasket !!!
Hallo Mark A. Odell !:

But we have bad "adventures" with AVRs in noisy environment (AT90S1200 - very
poor !!!). PICs are very good.

--
Grzegorz Zalot

complex ltd.
Re: PIC16F648A - to wastebasket !!!

very

I always connect the AVR RESET pin to an RC - 10k to Vcc and 100n to ground.
It helps a lot.

Leon
--
Leon Heller, G1HSM
leon snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

And you just said they are crap!

Re: PIC16F648A - to wastebasket !!!
Hallo Steven !:

Yes, the new "surprise" 16F648 .... I thing, Microchip must better test the
chips, and defective chips has to exchange !

The PICs are not bad generally - but the "surprise" with 16F648 is tragical.

--
Grzegorz Zalot

complex ltd.
Re: PIC16F648A - to wastebasket !!!
On Tue, 09 Sep 2003 16:04:13 +0200, the renowned Grzegorz Zalot

Some of the new 18F chips have serious issues with operation above
25MHz (IIRC ??), or even, reportedly, 4MHz, despite being called
"40MHz" chips. There are ugly workarounds to allow 40MHz operation on
only some of them.

Sanghi needs to shake things up there..

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Re: PIC16F648A - to wastebasket !!!

The impression I get is that Microchip are gambling the whole company on
dsPIC - and that's late and not winning hearts and minds. There's a nice
legacy business in PIC16 and before, but a generation of new embedded
engineers have grown up with AVRs and suchlike and don't automatically
think of Microchip when starting a low-end design.

Trouble is, dsPIC takes them into a market segment that's already pretty
well mapped out - there's plenty of good micros and low-end DSPs in that
market space and Microchip doesn't have mind-share in those sectors.

PIC17 failed dismally. PIC18 is limping badly (not helped by the fact
that it was meant to be C-friendly and the compilers were diabolical for
quite a lot of the family's early life). dsPIC is not taking off. Unless
they have a big success in the near future it looks like "interesting
times" for Microchip.

Basically, I think they only have three things going for them:

(1) keeloq
(2) packaging, peripherals etc.
(3) the legacy market.

IMHO, dsPIC (despite the fact that it's a decent enough architecture,
and combines many good features of PIC-like Harvard RISC, conventional
micros and low-end DSP) shouldn't have happened.  Microchip should've
licensed ARM for higher-end applications, put their own peripherals
onto an ARM core and provided a software emulator or a binary
translator for PIC16 apps...

pete
--
snipped-for-privacy@fenelon.com "there's no room for enigmas in built-up areas" HMHB

Re: PIC16F648A - to wastebasket !!!

If they had any sense, they'd make a dsp that matches well to
C compilers, and add support for it to gcc. Instant cult following.
That's how atmel got where they are with AVRs, but only by accident
because a hobbyist added support to gcc, as well as a few other
cheap compiler vendors. If that were to stop, i'm sure gcc/msp430
would take its place.

Re: PIC16F648A - to wastebasket !!!

That is dsPIC/PIC30 - but it's running several years late.

pete
--
snipped-for-privacy@fenelon.com "there's no room for enigmas in built-up areas" HMHB

Re: PIC16F648A - to wastebasket !!!

I am glancing over Digikey's catalog, looking at several vendors of
MPU chips. I am aware of Microchip, Amtel, TI, Cypress, and others.
It's a little confusing, even for a hobbiest. Since I have no history,
I'd like to pick a vendor with a solid future and inexpensive
development.

Gcc/Amtel is inexpensive (of course), but how smooth and solid is the
developer environment, e.g. how easy is it to debug in circuit?

How good is the MSP430? I see indicators of strong interest, but I
don't know the current or future trends.

If Microchip is heading for "interesting times", then perhaps I should
looke elsewhere. OTOH MPUs are Microchip, but TI could drop the 430
and not even sneeze.

O P I N I O N S    P L E A S E

Please share your thoughts and opinions about this. Many of you have a
good sense of the future and know what really matters most in project
development and learning.

Thanks in advance.

Re: PIC16F648A - to wastebasket !!!

:)

 Chip vendors always over-estimate clock speeds, and under-estimate the
inertia and importance of software.

 eg I have a 1996 AVR databoook, that claims 24MHz.
Then, they actually made some devices, and released 8MHz, which
has recently moved to 16MHz with a shrink.

 Should meet marketings 1996 value around 2008... ? :)

<paste>

 An ARM to emulate a PIC - now there's a scary thought !

 That aside, you may have a point :

 Philips new ARM devices are small enough to be firmly in the
microcontroller space, and the newest Cygnal device hits 100MHz,
with a HW 16x16 MAC. Both use mature cores, with wide SW support,
and will overlap with dsPIC.
 Philips also have a raft of 8/14/20 pin tiny uC appearing, that
will challenge the bottom feeder PICs

-jg

Re: PIC16F648A - to wastebasket !!!

Until you run out of registers, or need priority interrupts....
AVRs are also single sourced, and going by the latest
'rationalizes', have a relatively short 'half life'...

-jg

Re: PIC16F648A - to wastebasket !!!

So no worse than PICs then. Except that you have a cleaner, C-friendly
chip. --
- Mark ->
--

Re: PIC16F648A - to wastebasket !!!
On 8 Sep 2003 13:02:38 GMT, the renowned "Mark A. Odell"

Except for the last bit. Microchip have been pretty good about keeping
their older designs and even older revisions available. Motorola, for
example, would just discontinue the first version when the "A" version
became available. Maybe they are waiting until they get all the bugs
out of the newer chips. ;-)

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Re: PIC16F648A - to wastebasket !!!
snipped-for-privacy@interlog.com says...

any horror stories about the Atmel AT90[L]S4434 or the AT90x[L]S8535
AVRs? i haven't been able to dig into them yet.

brs,
mike

Re: PIC16F648A - to wastebasket !!!
On Mon, 08 Sep 2003 19:22:45 GMT, the renowned Active8

Search google groups for the part number + EEPROM + corruption

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany