PIC with wifi module

I am looking for suggestions on which PIC MCU to use with MRF24WB0MA (wifi transceiver module which is compatible with PC18/24/32 and dsPIC)....I want to send messages (80 chars) from my PC to this MCU through wifi and display it on a 20 by 4 LCD. I plan to make my whole module to be battery powered and I found out that the PIC18F1220 supports this requirement.

The problem comes in connecting the wifi module to WLAN and which TCP/IP protocols to use in order to establish a successful transfer of information from the PC to the PIC MCU?....Thanks

que63

nt

ay

You can rule out PIC18 for TCP/IP WiFi. You need lot of memories.

on

PIC24FJ256 should do, with a USB WiFi adapter call Android. Anyway, that's what we are doing.

Reply to
linnix

Be sure you're picking an ethernet part. Not all pic18 support this. For the microchip TCPIP stack at least 128kb rom and 64kb ram are required I think. You'd be best of with a pic32, but it's a totally new architecture.

Then on how to exchange data: you have many options. There are a number of way to use custom sockets with Microchip TCPIP stack, but I can't give you any advice as I haven't personally used any.

Claudio

Reply to
Claude

Why would he want or need an Ethernet part to interface to a MRF24WB0MA?

--
John W. Temples, III
Reply to

wifi

want

splay

red

Why would he interface it at all. Yet another undocumented wifi part. "Works with the free tcp stack", great. If I need something which "works with", I'd go for a readily available TV-set, phone, notebook, whatever. If I design a part in I expect it to be documented so I can at least talk to it if not reprogram it. But this is the wifi reality today, unfortunately. Someone(s?) was busy buying out and killing all documented wifi parts which used to be on the market at the beginning and nobody in the trade seems to notice or object that.

Dimiter

dp

que63 skrev 2011-10-02 20:09:

Have a look at the WiFi stuff at

There is a module which has a UART interface.

I think you can get the stuff through Arrow. If you can skip the PIC, there is ready software for AVR32s.

BR Ulf Samuelsson

Reply to
Ulf Samuelsson

nt

ay

on

check for MOD-WIFI there is demo web server done with this module and PIC32-MX460LCD but it will work with any of our PIC board which have UEXT connector, Microchip web stack provide easy way to make TCP-IP to RS232 bridge

Best regards Tsvetan

Reply to
Olimex