PIC Opcode Corruption

2 quick questions.

1) On 14 bit opcode PICs is it possible to have an invalid opcode
burned into program memory?
2) And if so how does the PIC react?

There is no mention of this in any way in the PIC data sheets I have.

Tx

Re: PIC Opcode Corruption

Yes.

The behavior is not defined. It might be no-op, it might halt the CPU,
it might load random stuff into a register - there is no way of knowing
without testing, and no reason to care because these undocumented
functions could easily change with the next die revision.

Because it is uncharacterized. Similarly, your VCR's instruction manual
probably doesn't describe what happens if you put a banana in the tape
slot and press play while in zero gravity.

Re: PIC Opcode Corruption

I tried it once - "Freddy Got Fingered" (Tom Green) started playing...

You just don't get decent documentation these days! :O

Regards,
Mark

Site Timeline