PIC controller for a motor (PWM)

Hi,

I want to implement a speed controller for a motor (PWM). My problem is that the motor needs 12V/10A which is too much for connecting it directly to a PIC pin output.

I was thinking about using a relay, but I am not sure if it will work due to the PWM high ON/OFF frecuency.

=BFWhat can I use? =BFDo you know any commercial PWM controller to use with my PIC? =BFPrize?

Thanks ins advance.

Reply to
Vicente

I want to implement a speed controller for a motor (PWM). My problem is that the motor needs 12V/10A which is too much for connecting it directly to a PIC pin output.

I was thinking about using a relay, but I am not sure if it will work due to the PWM high ON/OFF frecuency.

¿What can I use? ¿Do you know any commercial PWM controller to use with my PIC? ¿Prize?

Thanks ins advance.

Use the PIC output to drive the gate of a power FET. If the control is in the high side, use an optoisolator to drive the gate.

Don

Reply to
Donald Harris

There are MANY motor speed controllers, this being one:

Connect motor, 12V and a PWM signal, your good to go. I've used them many times.

Reply to
sdeyoreo

I've done that recently using FET's full bridge (left-right). I can send schematic if you need a reference. Write me on: tomasz @ (remove-this) mikran pl

Reply to
DJ

I have built many full bridges and single drivers with IRF3710 FETs. Absolute MAX 100 Volts, 57 Amps. The biggest problem with the optos is the turn off times are several microseconds which leaves the FETs in the linear region long enough to generate heat. Use a heat sink!

Reply to
Donald Harris

I am using BUX11 - pretty good and cheap. I am not using optos - never had any noise problems. Anyway I just slow down and speed up DC motor, not really regulate it's speed and most of the time FETs are either on or off instead of toggling and heatsink is not needed. Otherwise they will probably generate o lot of heat.

Reply to
DJ

A motor, A 12V supply and A PWM signal =3D solution.

Karthik Balaguru

Reply to
karthikbalaguru

In message , DJ writes