PIC 18F not so popular yet? - Page 2

Re: PIC 18F not so popular yet?

I'm sure the marketing dept at Microchip will repeat this refrain :)
  I believe any $5+ region single chip uC, is going to have to compete
with other $5+ uC, and in 2004, that means the PIC18 and dsPICs are
going to compete with each other, as well as the new ARM_uC's, plus the
DSP_uC offerings from Motorola and TI, as well as the high performance
Analog uC.

 > dsPIC is being aimed at the low-end fixed-point DSP market.  Which is
also getting

Price points mean it also comes up against the growing families of
ARM_uC, and the 32 bit /100 MIPS DSPs from TI.

-jg

Re: PIC 18F not so popular yet?

Too expensive?  A company for which I've done some consulting switched
from the PIC16F877 to the PIC18F452, at least partially at my urging.  I
thought it would be a hard sell, even though we desperately needed the
additional memory.  As it turned out, though, the PIC18F452 costs *less*
than the PIC16F877.

I've recently found the same to be the case when comparing some of the
smaller PICs as well.  The PIC18 parts seem to be fairly aggressively
priced.

As far as I can tell, they seem to be selling quite a lot of PIC18
parts.  Which chips are commonly used by hobbyists is not a very
convincing metric of which chips are selling in the highest volumes.

Re: PIC 18F not so popular yet?

<snip>

I made the exact same switch, necessary on a design for faster processing (5
MIPS PIC16 to 10 MIPS PIC18)
(PIC18F452 can use a totally internal PLL circuit to multiply an on-board
10MHz to an on-chip 40MHz, back to 10MIPS at 4 clocks per cycle.)
Pinout (PLCC) ISTR was identical, perhaps apart from the clock input pin?

Since using this, I've done a couple more designs with PIC18. I've not
wanted to use a PIC16 again :-)

In two designs I used a sector of PIC18 Flash program memory for the PIC to
write calibration values to.
(PIC18 can erase and reprogram its program memory, I believe at any
operating supply voltages, not just at 5V)

No PIC16 missing banksel bugs any more.

Existing PIC16 assembler code needs vey few changes to convert to PIC18.

Paul T

Re: PIC 18F not so popular yet?

 From a hobby perspective, it looks to me like that isn't really the
case. Take a look at
http://www.futurlec.com.au/test13.jsp?category=Integrated%20Circuits%20-%20Microchip&category_title=Microchip%20Microcontrollers&main_menu=IC&sub_menu=ICMICROCHIP

These are all one-off prices in Australian dollars.20MHz PIC16F877 is
about $12. a 40MHz PIC18F4320 does more, and is less then ten bucks. On
the lower end, the very widely used (but obsolete) PIC16F84A-20/P goes
for $6.50 - the PIC18F1320-I/P sels for just under $6.

I don't see how its the case. Sure, only having 35 instructions on the
PIC16 seems appealing to raw beginners. but the extra instructions are
realy useful.

Also, the _big_ dvantage on the PIC18 is there is no paging, and pretty
much no banking. The banks are larger, and the 'access  bank' generally
means you don't have to change banks to access SFR's. You can access a
file from any bank with MOVFF.

I'd buy that. I'd like to program ARMs in a low pin DIP package :-)

cheers,

Al

Re: PIC 18F not so popular yet?
http://www.futurlec.com.au/test13.jsp?category=Integrated%20Circuits%20-%20Microchip&category_title=Microchip%20Microcontrollers&main_menu=IC&sub_menu=ICMICROCHIP

The 48-pin Philips LPC210x ARM is available on a DIL40 module.

Leon

Re: PIC 18F not so popular yet?

Do you mean a proper package, or a 'module' like http://www.tinyarm.com /?

I can't see any info on Philips site about about.

thanks,

Al

Re: PIC 18F not so popular yet?

If Microchip did that it would probably make the dsPIC redundant as
well.  Since Philips have released the LPC ARM processors, I think the
dsPIC has pretty much missed the market window.  Atmel are also not
far behind Philips with low-cost ARM devices.

Persoanally I think the Microchip 16F series chips are only really
suitable for assembly code programming.  For high level language there
are so many better choices.

regards,
Johnny.

Re: PIC 18F not so popular yet?
On Sun, 05 Sep 2004 10:11:01 +1000, the renowned Johnny

What's the multiply (or MAC) performance on the ARM7 core?

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany