PIC 16F877: ORG-ing EEPROM

What memory location should the beginning (lowest address) of flash EEPROM be ORG'ed for the PIC16F877A? Maybe this info is located in a F87x data sheet or the mid-range ref. manual but I haven't found it. There are copious references to EEADR, EEDATA, etc., but no example of ORG-ing in an ASM file. Microchip seems to have hidden this vital info. very well.

IIRC, I discovered this info. for a 16F628A (ORG 2100H, by the way) only by looking at another experimenter's code!

-- Michael

Reply to
Michael

Michael-

I seem to remember seeing the code your'e talking about(using ORG

2100H for getting EEPROM data into a 16F877A)-I tried it and it worked. I used MPLAB with the "de" directive. Here's a snippet from the MPLAB help file:

==================================================================== "Syntax [label] de expr [, expr, ..., expr] Description de - Data EEPROM.

This directive can be used at any location for any processor.

For PIC18 devices, reserve memory word bytes are packed. If an odd number of bytes is specified, a 0 will be added unless in a code_pack section. See the description for code_pack for more infomation.

For all other PICmicro devices, reserve memory words with 8-bit data. Each expr must evaluate to an 8-bit value. The upper bits of the program word are zeroes. Each character in a string is stored in a separate word.

Usage This directive is used in the following types of code: absolute or relocatable. For information on types of code, see Assembler Operation.

This directive is designed mainly for initializing data in the EE data memory region of PICmicro devices with EE data FLASH.

For PIC18 devices, make sure to specify the start of data memory at

0xF00000. For other PICmicro devices, make sure to specify the start of data memory at 0x2100. Always check your device programming specification for the correct address.

See Also data db dt dw code_pack Simple Example Initialize EEPROM data on a PIC16 device:

org 0x2100 de "My Program, v1.0", 0

PIC16 Application Example - de #include p16f877a.inc ;Include standard header file ;for the selected device. org 0x2100 ;The absolue address 2100h is ;mapped to the 0000 location of ;EE data memory. ;You can create a data or character table starting from any ;address in EE data memory. ch_tbl2 de "PICmicro" ;6 EE data memory locations ;(starting from 0) will be filled ;with 6 ASCII characters. end PIC18 Application Example - de #include p18f452.inc ;Include standard header file ;for the selected device. org 0xF00000 ;The absolue address F00000h is ;mapped to the 0000 location of ;EE data memory for PIC18 devices. ;You can create a data or character table starting from any ;address in EE data memory. ch_tbl2 de "PICmicro" ;6 EE data memory locations ;(starting from 0) will be filled ;with 6 ASCII characters. end" ================================================================ Unfortunately, the PIC in the example is an '877A. I suppose you could just try 2100H and see if it gets burned. or If you are using MPLAB to control the burner you could:

1) make sure the EEPROM selection in the programmer setup is checked 2) prior to burning, goto "View-EEPROM Memory" 3) poke in the hex values you want programmed 4) burn the PIC MPLAB will take care of the EEPROM starting address for you

Of course if you want to change the contents of EEPROM during program execution, you'll have to use the EEADR,EEDATA,etc. procedure shown in the data sheets.

HTH Let us know how it works out.

_______ >What memory location should the beginning (lowest address) of flash EEPROM be

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur. (Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.)

Reply to
Charles Jean

or