PIC 16f877 and MPLAB compatibilty

Hi all,
   I am working on a data acquistion part from a sensor to PC. I am
using a PIC 16f877 and I have MPLAB IDE v5.61 and the ICD flash
module.
I wanted to know if there is anyway I could use the latest version
which is MPLAB 6.6 with the ICD flash module. or would i need the
ICD2(hockey puck thing) if i need to use the v6.6.
   Please let me know your experiences.

thanks,
Bhanu

Re: PIC 16f877 and MPLAB compatibilty

The original ICD will not work with 6.x versions of MPLAB and the ICD2 will not
work with 5.x versions of MPLAB. I was forced to upgrade to ICD2 when my new C
compiler upgrade demanded MPLAB 6.x.

If you have a combination of ICD / MPLAB that does what you need, I would be
inclined to keep using it. However the ICD2 is a nice bit of kit and is a good
price. It also has a USB interface in addition to the standard RS232. It also
supports loads more devices than the original ICD.

Re: PIC 16f877 and MPLAB compatibilty
Hi,
  Thanks for the clarification. I think i will proceed with the
original ICD and Mplab v5. But I dont have the 5pin cable connecting
the ICD module to the demo board. Can you tell me what it is called so
that I can purchase it.
Thank you again.

Bhanu

Re: PIC 16f877 and MPLAB compatibilty

I have emailed you the relevant part number. Alternatively just solder wires
across. Use no more than a 9" length and take care to get the connections
right!

Phil

Site Timeline