PIC 16C57 replacement

I am revamping an old board which uses a PIC 16C57. The new micro must have essentially the same functionality and will have only slightly modified code (in assembler) from the original. The new board will be 3.3V rather than

+5V as per the old board.

Which PIC can anyone recommend which is low cost etc.

Reply to
Fred

"Fred" skrev i en meddelelse news:423a2213$0$32610$ snipped-for-privacy@news.zen.co.uk...

What speed is needed? Almost any PIC is produced in two different versions F and LF where the LF should be able to be used at 3.3 volt but with lower speed than 5.0 volt.

Rune

Reply to
Rune Christensen

The clock ran at 4MHz with an instruction cycle of 1uS.

Reply to
Fred

Current part would be either PIC16C57C or flash version PIC16F57

Reply to
Mike Harrison

I was thinking of going for the PIC16F57. It can come in a SOIC package and can be programmed in circuit. The datasheet mentions MPLAB ICD but not sure if this uses the serial lines or a -ICD variant of the PIC and is just an emulator. Can it be used to program the devices on the board since it's not entirely obvious?

Reply to
Fred

AFAIK the ICD can be used to in-circuit program all flash devices, but debugging is only available for parts that have ICD peripherals. There are ICD varients of some parts available on headers which add the extra pins to low pin-count devices.

I've not looked at the datasheet for the 16F5x series - as it's based on an old family, check the specs to see if there are any differences in capabilities compared to more recent ones.

When using ICD to program only, it can be set up to automatically program after build, so you get a pretty quick build-run cycle. It can actually be quicker than using ICE2000 for small programs!

Reply to
Mike Harrison

Hi Fred,

for all your questions, there are many answers on the microchip web site. Particularly the product selector guide, with migration informations inside, can be found by a link, straight from the main page. And, if you will take a look on the product page for available datasheets, you will see it in big, fat and red letters: "Please consider using device PIC16F57". There is also an migration document available.

But please don't ask me for a link. You never even need gooble for that, it is too simple.

Michael

--
Die eMail passt, und wer nicht spamt, kommt auch durch.
Gelesen wird jedoch nur ab und zu.

You are absolutely right there are many answers on the Microchip website.

However whilst the migration path as you suggest is perhaps more obvious, the means to program it aren't. The migration path tend to imply +5V which I don't need. A wide power supply voltage range tends to come as premium. OK MPLAB ICD 2 should be able to program the device but which option do I need? Sorry but the Microchip website is poor in comparison to many others.

Indeed if you look in "Development Systems Ordering Guide July 2004.pdf" You'll see that the MPLAB ICD 2 isn't given as an option to program the PIC16F57! Sorry but not impressed.

Reply to
Fred

To me, it seems that you are intermixing ICD/ICD2 (which are debuggers that also can program devices) and simple serial programmers (which can only program PICs). I can't tell much about the ICD2, but I have an ICD, which is intended to debug 16F87X only. Search for "Programming specification" for your devices (both C and F) and you will find the answers there! All the many PICs I have dealt with, are capable of operating down to

2,5V or even less. No problem to do 4MHz clock. Just read the datasheets, its everything there :-)

HTH Wolfgang

--
From-address is Spam trap
Use: wolfgang (dot) mahringer (at) sbg (dot) at

Hi Fred,

Please take a look at a little newer document. ICD2 work with 16F57 since september 22, 2004 (MPLAB 6.62), and AFAIK the PIC were avialable around this time. MPLAB 6.40 shows only 16F54 with beta state.

So, install a newer MPLAB, and you can select your chip and ICD2 as programmer. But the 16F5x chips are (like 16C5x) without in system debugging support!

HTH Michael

PS: BTW it's good practice, to be up to date with devtools if operate with new chips. (SCNR)

--
Die eMail passt, und wer nicht spamt, kommt auch durch.
Gelesen wird jedoch nur ab und zu.
Reply to
Michael Lange

Many thanks for your help. I haven't installed any software yet. The existing code I have is nearly 10 years old where I used PICASM if I recall correctly.

Reply to
Fred

Hi Fred,

Meanwhile the MPLab IDE is a better choice than commandline tools for develop with PICs. Read the manuals and look around, then you found much more info and answers for your problem.

Michael