PHY initialization

Hello

my question is rather general - does an Ethernet PHY chip require any additional initialization upon hardware reset or it is always platform specific? I'm asking this because I'm having a problem reading/writing registers of PHY chip from my code; the chip is wired to a ethernet SoC via S3MII bus. I just try to understand: am I missing something more fundamental or should go through the SoC datasheet ince again.

Thanks.

--
Mark
Reply to

You are using the management lines of the interface, not the RX/TX lines?

The PHY will default to an address (0-31) on the management interface. The default address depends on the PHY and the way it's wired on the board (pull up and down). Check the PHY datasheet (or try all addresses).

I believe that professional wrestling is clean and everything else in
the world is fixed.
		-- Frank Deford, sports writer
Reply to
Stef

Op Wed, 24 Feb 2010 08:46:18 +0100 schreef Mark :

Usually a software reset is performed to make sure that the Phy is in a sane state.

Another useful read is the IEEE Std 802.3-2005, part 3; more specifically section 2, chapters 22 and 28.

http://www.opera.com/mail/
(remove the obvious prefix to reply by mail)
Reply to
Boudewijn Dijkstra

Yes and No.

  • PHYs are standardised.
  • It is a good practice to initialize everything that you are using.
  • PHY is in the operable state by reset. There may be no need to alter any of the settings.

The S3MII interface must work; if it is not working, it is an indication of a problem.

Vladimir Vassilevsky

hey, i am having same sort of a problem .

i am using spartan 3E FPGA board with LAN83C185 PHY. I want to make 100Base Tx connection but i dont know what's wrong here. I have written the initialization code but i can't read or write to PHY . The code simulates perfectly but when i burn the code on FPGA, it doesn't work..

kindly help me out.

salimbaba