PHP for PICs ??

Anyone heard of using php as programming language for PICs ?

With totally no experience in PHP, I had to modify a php program.
After browsing the web, I found what I needed and managed to modify the
program,

But during browsing the web, the above (maybe ridiculuous) question came
into my mind,
why ?
What I understand from PHP:
- it's open source
- it's used by everyone, including children and "housewifes"
- it's despiced by theoretical software guys, because it hasn't a closed
definition
(or is it because of the previous item ;-)
- it must be good, because it runs on every webserver (both unix and
windows)
- despite it's open source, there's still just one definition/derivate
- installling and get it running on my PC, took me less then 2 minutes
- the user can choose between C-like, Pascal-like (maybe others) syntax

Ok, the negative point is that it's designed for generating webpages.
But I also use a hammer to drive a srew !
So why not use PHP for PICs, ... ??

Stef Mientki

Re: PHP for PICs ??

I assume you only use the hammer when there is no screwdriver arround, and
for PIC controllers we have compilers and assemblers avaliable, so why use
PHP?

Cor

Re: PHP for PICs ??

I'm unaware of any attempts to lobotomise PHP enough to make it fit in
even the code space available on an 18F. And I don't think you could do
much with it anyway, given the RAM use. ;)

Very few people choose PHP because it's a "nice language", anyway - it's
generally used because of its HTML-embeddability and its rich set of
interfaces to other bits of Unix-y software. Now, if you've got an RDBMS
and a web-server running on your PIC (we've had the latter ;))...

You might be able to fit Tcl on a big PIC18, just. Python might just be a
possibility, if you strip it waaaay down. But if you want an interpreted
programming language on hardware as small as a PIC, I'd say go for FORTH,
or BASIC if you must.

pete
--
snipped-for-privacy@fenelon.com "there's no room for enigmas in built-up areas"

Re: PHP for PICs ??
@odysseus.uci.kun.nl:

hehe

only Stef could come up with an idea like this. :)

Would be interesting though....

regards,
Richard

Site Timeline