PHP for PICs ??

Anyone heard of using php as programming language for PICs ?

With totally no experience in PHP, I had to modify a php program. After browsing the web, I found what I needed and managed to modify the program,

But during browsing the web, the above (maybe ridiculuous) question came into my mind, why ? What I understand from PHP:

- it's open source

- it's used by everyone, including children and "housewifes"

- it's despiced by theoretical software guys, because it hasn't a closed definition (or is it because of the previous item ;-)

- it must be good, because it runs on every webserver (both unix and windows)

- despite it's open source, there's still just one definition/derivate

- installling and get it running on my PC, took me less then 2 minutes

- the user can choose between C-like, Pascal-like (maybe others) syntax

Ok, the negative point is that it's designed for generating webpages. But I also use a hammer to drive a srew ! So why not use PHP for PICs, ... ??

Stef Mientki

Reply to
Stef Mientki

I assume you only use the hammer when there is no screwdriver arround, and for PIC controllers we have compilers and assemblers avaliable, so why use PHP?

Cor

Reply to
Cor van Loos

I'm unaware of any attempts to lobotomise PHP enough to make it fit in even the code space available on an 18F. And I don't think you could do much with it anyway, given the RAM use. ;)

Very few people choose PHP because it's a "nice language", anyway - it's generally used because of its HTML-embeddability and its rich set of interfaces to other bits of Unix-y software. Now, if you've got an RDBMS and a web-server running on your PIC (we've had the latter ;))...

You might be able to fit Tcl on a big PIC18, just. Python might just be a possibility, if you strip it waaaay down. But if you want an interpreted programming language on hardware as small as a PIC, I'd say go for FORTH, or BASIC if you must.

pete

--
pete@fenelon.com "there's no room for enigmas in built-up areas"
Reply to

Stef Mientki wrote in news:cequks$fif$1 @odysseus.uci.kun.nl:

hehe

only Stef could come up with an idea like this. :)

Would be interesting though....

regards, Richard

Reply to
richard