Ph.D. student position 'Computer Systems Architecture' (University of Amsterdam)

PhD student 'Computer Systems Architecture' ===========================================

The Computer Systems Architecture group at the University of Amsterdam has an opening for a Ph.D. student in the area of system-level (embedded) system architecture design. More specifically, the Ph.D. student will be involved in the "VISUALization-integrated desIgn Space Exploration (VISUALISE)" project, which is funded by the Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (NWO). The VISUALISE project aims at studying domain-specific methods and techniques for run-time visualization of system-level computer architecture simulations that target design space exploration (DSE). The techniques produced will be scalable, interactive and based on a formal model of computation, allowing designers to better explore complex computer architectures that exploit various levels of concurrency as forced on them by the rapid changes in technology. This project intends to produce radical new insights on how to improve and accelerate DSE for computer architecture design.

TASKS: The appointee will perform research on and development of (run-time) visualization methods and techniques for system-level computer architecture simulations in the context of design space exploration.

REQUIREMENTS: * M.Sc. in computer science * decent knowledge of computer architecture * decent knowledge of computer graphics * preferably some expertise in the field of (computer architecture) simulation About the CSA group ===================

The Computer Systems Architecture (CSA) group at the University of Amsterdam performs research in the fields of scalable, instruction-level parallel architectures as well as system-level computer architecture modeling and simulation. For instance, a novel approach to micro-architecture is under development that supports massive on-chip concurrency, which is scalable, flexible and amenable to analysis. It has the potential to provide for the management of on-chip resources (processors etc.) so as to autonomously configure a system for performance, power dissipation or fault tolerance. In addition, the CSA group also investigates more generic methods and techniques for system-level design and analysis of (future) system-on-chip based computer architectures. This work focuses on architectural design space exploration (DSE) during the very early stages of design, where design decisions have great impact on (the success of) the final product. To this end, we study both analytical modeling methods as well as simulation methods for system-level (performance) analysis.

More information ================ Further information can be obtained from Dr. Andy D. Pimentel, Informatics Institute, University of Amsterdam, Kruislaan 403, 1098 SJ, Amsterdam, The Netherlands; tel. +31 20 525 7578; email: andy (at) science.uva.nl.

Appointment =========== The appointment will be full time (38 hours a week) for a period of four years (one year plus a further three years after a positive evaluation) and should lead to a dissertation. The gross monthly salary will be in accordance with the University regulations for academic personnel, and will range from Eur 1,956 (first year) up to a maximum of Eur 2,502 (final year).

Job application =============== Applications should include a letter of motivation, a curriculum vitae, and the names and contact information of two referees.

Applications can be emailed to andy (at) science.uva.nl

Closing date is 1 August 2007.

----- URL CSA group:

Andy Pimentel

Hello,

I am very interested in this position. Though I am from a computer science background I wish to pursue research in computer architectures. Currently I am reading for a PG Diploma in Industrial Mathematics.

I was reading this page:

This made me very interested on what is going on since I too have some ideas which are in this direction. I feel this would be a once in a life time opportunity if I get chosen for this position. Since computer architecture is my pet subject, I have been working on designing architectures after my regular day job. Due to the constrain in time my progress has been very slow and the work I have been completed is not up to my expected level of standard.

My interest is in building general purpose computing devices which would indeed perform well in application specific areas. Currently my main areas of interest including Computational Finance based on software based screening and strategy formulation, AI, AI applications in Finance and Economics, Rule Based Decision Support Systems, etc. but my philosophy is that the architecture should adopt to any application specific area.

I am also looking opportunities to commercialize on my work by starting a company to implement and sell the results on of the research work I might to depending on the possibility and opportunities available.

My CV is at:

This is part of what I have done so far:
(Some one else seam to have done the same before me unfortunately - WO/

2003/083648 which I discovered later.)

Best Regards, Suminda Sirinath Salpitikorala Dharmasena

P.S. If there are any other opportunities similar to this please let me know.

Reply to
sirinath