PCMCIA interface with LPC2214

Dear Friends...

For my project I am working with philips ARM7 based LPC221
microcontroller and now I have to interface PCMCIA GSM modem with th
circuit. I need to transmit some data by this modem because of its lo
cost and I need to go for near about 20,000 boards so interfacing PCMCI
is very benificial cost wise.

The problem I am facing I don't know how to interface this modem wit
LPC2214 microcontroller so any body can guide this newbie and atleast sav
my job ;)

Pankaj

www.EmbeddedRelated.com

Re: PCMCIA interface with LPC2214
You need a local bus to pcmcia bridge device.  PCMCIA is similar to
pci, but not sure if off the shelf pci bridge devices or pci functions
for FPGAs can be made to handle it.

If you can find a verison of the modem in a compact flash form factor,
that would be easier to talk to.

Re: PCMCIA interface with LPC2214

_CARDBUS_ is similar to PCI. PCMCIA 2.0 is more like ISA. CompactFlash
implements a _PCMCIA_ interface, pretty much.

This type of card is quite likely to be PCMCIA, not CardBus, and hence
the interfacing requirements are not too onerous.

Re: PCMCIA interface with LPC2214

cardbus

bhimanipankaj have you got any documentation regarding this gsm modem ?
windows drivers ? Its propably just serial port. You will have to memory
map it.

--
I really have no idea what this means. And since I can't install linux on
it, I'm gonna go back to surfing pr0n.

I know all about serial port and serial modem transmission, so is it lik
I have to just memory map it and start sending data with AT commands???

As I am using LPC2214 with 144 pins I have enough memory and data bus s
any design guidance with this or any reference to the material can help.

Always being thankful to you,
Pankaj

www.EmbeddedRelated.com

Re: PCMCIA interface with LPC2214

You should start with acquiring PCMCIA specs, then comparing signals and
timing diagrams with LPC2214.  LPC2214 external bus interface is
configurable, you might need to add some glue logic in discrete gates or
using small CPLD.
Remis

Re: PCMCIA interface with LPC2214

Wouldn't it be easier to use one of the small, embedded phone modules
(such as the G20 by Motorola) that requires only a serial port
connection and a digital audiot interface?  I've worked with these
before, and they are pretty easy to make work.  Siemens also makes
modules similar in form and function.

Standard disclaimer: I work for Motorola, but have nothing to do with
the group that manufacturers/sells/supports these modules.  I have
simply used them in research projects.

John O.

Re: PCMCIA interface with LPC2214
Dear John

as you suggested to use G20 module and as u have worked with that can u
guide me more on this.....

As I am new to ARM world but good with serial communication and
itnerfaces so if this module directly can be connected to serial port
that will be best....

Just guide me more about this....................what is the cost of
this module if i ll go for more then 2000 pc.

Thanks