PCI VGA Controllers

Do any companies aside from ATI and NVIDIA make PCI compatible VGA controller chips that are easily available?

Thanks!

Reply to
Slo

Le Tue, 09 Jan 2007 23:36:04 +0100, Slo a écrit:

I do not know but I'm also looking for an easy using IC with ISA interface.

Reply to
Mouarf

What do you need the chip to do? It's not a lot of work to roll your own in a CPLD/FPGA for simple text/bitmap display.

Regards,

--
Mark McDougall, Engineer
Virtual Logic Pty Ltd,

Le Thu, 11 Jan 2007 01:58:32 +0100, Mark McDougall a écrit:

it's not a lot of work but still some work, and for hobbyist project, I only have few time to spend so if I find an easy going solution I will use it ;-)

If it would be a professional project I would have taken the time to code it in an FPGA.

Reply to
Mouarf

Actually it is way more than just work to make a VGA+ (SVGA, XGA etc) capable TFT controller in a single chip - it takes at least 2 megabytes of RAM, that at

Reply to
Didi

Didi !!

ARM has taken all that away from the PC makers !!

and from the USA .

In the next 2 years , ARM will kill PC and Intel

and C.E.5 and M$ ...

You may argue the ARM mobos dont offer

4 megapixel 24bit color ,

but after the main market is satisfied

( New ARM pocket PC , 120GB HDD , 24Bit VGA )

The GPU makers will be in extreme competition to

make 20" , w/ built in GPU , 4 megaPixel , 24 bit color

and Intel et al will not be able to compete ..

It will be a Global competition , instead of USA dominated ...

Reply to
werty

Hmmm... I worked on a design which used the Silicon Motion SM501 a couple years ago. I would guess that it's still available. Try this URL:

Petter

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

I have considered them - and I think they are a last resort kind of rescue, yes. But they were talking some sort of hybrid thing on a BGA board, at least that was the case with the device I looked at mostly (I think it was 722 or something like that). I do not remember exactly why now, but I looked into it for days about

18 months ago and dropped this option. Meanwhile I have a plan how to do it without extra chips (I have designed a number of display controllers since the not so integrated days of the mid-80s until eventually I took the b69030 in around 2000), but this is yet to be done.

Dimiter

Petter Gustad wrote:

Reply to
Didi

Werty, please STFU. Thanks.

Steve

Steve at fivetrees

Matrox?

Steve

Steve at fivetrees

Hey, you got me with that. I went through their website for a few minutes until I accepted the obvious - they don't offer any chips at all, wheter they make them or not. Yet another part of the secret society allowed to build computer hardware, of course, but your post startled me enough to start checking :-).

Dimiter

Steve at fivetrees wrote:

Reply to
Didi

Don't know about easily available, but...

- the old Chips&Technologies line

Reply to
DJ Delorie

Yep, exactly. The killed b690x0 line. (You can find the "last buy 2004" or sort of for the two devices with on-chip RAM without much diging, it is there).

Dimiter

Reply to
Didi

I am currently solving the same problem ... need VGA output fro PIC18F242. I have found

which has two fre projects, but they generate only text-mode graphics with poor resolution There is also a link to
which says something abou chip that is capable of 800x600 resolution (which would be great for me !! and also PAL/NTSC output and keyboard input. Unfortunately there is n e-mail, no contact form ... only that it's future product. Anyone know more about it or similar chip or module ?

Reply to
jk2001

two choices there

The first (pair) is the latest design.

the others are sell out specials.

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap

Intelligent 2.83" AMOLED with touch screen for micros:
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/product.php?productid=16699
Reply to
Don McKenzie