PCI to Usb converter

Hello.
Is it technically possible to develop a pci to usb converter in order to
connect pci  cards external to i.e a laptop?.I mean a converter with a
pci slot available that connects through usb interface on the pc.And if
it is where can i find infoz.A quick search didnt find any company that
has such product.Thanks in advance.

Re: PCI to Usb converter

In principle: sure.  It takes nothing more than a plain desktop PC and
a USB host-to-host "network cable".  That's probably not quite what
you're looking for, but still valid as a proof-of-concept.

The real question, though, would of course be: why on earth would you
need such a thing?  Even USB 2.0 isn't fast enough to keep up with
even the basic PCI data rate of 133 MByte/s.  PCI is at least a factor
of 2.6 too fast for USB-2.0.

And that's before you consider the question of drivers --- there's no
way the PCI card on the other end of that cable will show up in the
usual PCI enumeration and be manageable by its normal driver, so
you'ld have to either abstract it's functions in the "converter" to
make it a regular USB device, or you'ld have re-write the drivers from
scratch.

Re: PCI to Usb converter
The real question, though, would of course be: why on earth would you
need such a thing?

First of all thanks for your answer.The point is that if you want to use
your pci desktop cards to a laptop you simply cant do that.For example
if you want to use your tv tuner(or sound card,satellite card etc) of
your old desk why not isnt there such a device (pci_usb converter)in
order to use it with your new powerfull laptop.So you want buy neither a
new desktop or a new usb tv tuner especially for your laptop.I know that
maybe it sounds crazy but then why are there  other devices for example
serial to usb or vice versa ?.(I answer this)Because pc maybe hasnt
enough usb or serial ports.
In conclusion is it impossible or just hard to do it?Is there any other
way that i could follow in order to achieve the above?

Even USB 2.0 isn't fast enough to keep up with
even the basic PCI data rate of 133 MByte/s.  PCI is at least a factor
of 2.6 too fast for USB-2.0.

What about firewire then?

Thanks once again.

Re: PCI to Usb converter

[Please try to quote properly... I've fixed broken quotations]

Right --- you can't.  Life's a bitch sometimes.

You probably ought to have considered foreseeable future developments
of the PC industry when you bought those PCI cards.  If you had done
that, you'ld have got yourself USB devices right away, and not be
having this problem now.

USB-to-serial and USB-to-parallel port convertors exist for several
reasons:

*) USB is expressly meant and advertised as a replacement for those
   "legacy ports".  So many people are likely to need them, i.e there's
   a sizeable and profitable market for them.

*) USB, like serial and parallel, is designed to be an _external_ port,
   whereas PCI is strictly for on-board usage only.

*) Serial and parallel ports are slow, simple things.  It's pretty
   easy to tunnel their data through a USB connection.  PCI is a whole
   world of trouble, in comparison.

But even so, USB-to-serial converters receive lots of bashing,
particularly from people in this very newsgroup, because they just
don't do their job completely.  Typically some of the more obscure
features of a real serial ports are forgotten, or implemented
incorrectly, breaking advanced usages of the device.

Hard enough to do that it's quite probably not worth trying for any
peripheral makers.  Impossible for an individual user for lack of
infos and licences to program the necessary drivers.

Same problem.  Firewire-400 is even a little slower than USB-2.0, and
Firewire-800 essentially doesn't exist in anything but the latest
boxes from Apple, yet, i.e. there's no market yet.

Re: PCI to Usb converter
Your help was priceless.

Re: PCI to Usb converter
-snip-
-snip-

USB/FW is too slow to use for PCI transfers, as was said.

However, with some laptops there are docking stations where you can
place one or two odd cards, if needed. Check with your laptops
manufacturer if they have such an option for you.

/Rolf

Re: PCI to Usb converter
To connect PCI cards to a laptop you can use the Cardbus slot which most
laptops have.  Magma makes such an expansion chassis.  Checkout the url
http://www.magma.com

Cheers,
Robert Rother

Re: PCI to Usb converter
My god!!Its TOO expensive...

Re: PCI to Usb converter
The simplest way is probably to take a PC, connect it to 1G/100M Ethernet
and then
transfer data over the network.

You can of course build yourself  a board which has a chip with USB slave
and PCI master.
The NSC (Now AMD) Geode and some Motorola PowerQUICCs should do the job.
The Geode has a host controller, but I think (maybe wrong) that there are
devices that can
bridge two USBs

How are you going to talk to your boards?
You need to develop drivers.

Maybe run Linux on PC, and X-Windows to the screen.

--
Best Regards
Ulf at atmel dot com

We found a USB to ISA handy for connecting our old cards. It's a long thin
card with a single ISA slot, USB cable and a disk drive type power
connection. Don't know about PCI.

Peter

Re: PCI to Usb converter
... snip ...

Does that allow a machine with only ISA slots to drive USB
peripherals?

Re: PCI to Usb converter
Er, no, it's the other way round. Add an ISA slot to a machine with only
USB.

Peter

Re: PCI to Usb converter

Still useful, although timing related things are out the window.
Who sells it and for how much?

Re: PCI to Usb converter

The company is here. The simplest ISA slot costs $119. It gives us a little
extra life from our old ISA products.
http://www.arstech.com /

Peter

Re: PCI to Usb converter

No, but Simtec Electronics appear to have such a product under development.

http://www.simtec.co.uk/products/EB1161ISA /

--
Wishing you good fortune,
--Robin Kay-- (komadori)

Re: PCI to Usb converter

Well - yeah usb would take a buttload of work. yeah. But you may want
to look into making a mini pci to pci converter. I know they have pci
to mini pci converter cards - so I'm going to assume that it's
possible to go the other way as well. Good luck!

Re: PCI to Usb converter

NetChip has readily available chips for that http://www.netchip.com /.
I have done some development myself using the NET2280-RDK and am quite
impressed with it.

Leo Havm°ller.

Site Timeline