PCI development

Hi All,

I'm a hardware electronics designer, with a lot of experience in complex
FPGA/CPLD design and some in programming in C (primarily embedded
controllers). I'm now looking to do some PCI hardware development.

I would like some recommendations for a simple to use software environment
for writing code for peeking and poking PCI registers and memory, and a
simple C like environment for developing test software for custom PCI cards.

I would greatly appreciate any feedback from users, and any useful links.
I'm using Win98 - so far I've found a freebee from Peritek
http://www.peritek.com/software_peritool.html . I'm not a software programmer
as such so the simpler the software environment is the better!

Thanks,

Mark.

Re: PCI development

DOS with DJGPP works pretty well.

http://www.delorie.com/djgpp /

DOS lets you get at all that hardware stuff that real OS's like linux,
BSD, win2k, winXP prevent you from touching. DJGPP lets you write 32-bit
code and execute it in a DOS environment.

Also, Intel has some kind of DOS-based PCI tool that is invaluable for
peeking and poking at registers. I forget what it is called, but if search
the web for it you'll probably find it. I think they may have released the
binary into the public domain.

Mac
--

Re: PCI development

Linux doesn't keep you out of this stuff,  if you want to mess with it...

Look for a package called something like pcitools.

Re: PCI development

Hmm. I thought hardware code was restricted to kernel space. But I guess
someone must have come up with a user space way of doing it.

Thanks for the info.

Mac
--

Re: PCI development

complex
environment
links.
better!
32-bit
it...

I thought the full source is available for Linux, so theorectically I could
modify or write custom drivers. Or am I wrong?

Mark.

Re: PCI development

environment
cards.
links.
programmer

Thanks. I'm considering using lcc-win32 as this is a Windows environment
compiler with a resource editor that is supposedly more suitable for someone
learning to program PCs in C. I have a steep hill to climb I think!

Mark.

Site Timeline