PCB Design Rules

I'm trying to get an idea of how much things cost these days. I'm talking to circuit board manufacturers, but am unfortunately not getting much feedback in terms of a breakout of what is driving cost. So, I ask you. I'm looking for impressions of the following PCB features in terms of (1) how expensive they are, and (2) whether they are widely supported..

  1. Blind vias
  2. Buried vias
  3. Micro vias
  4. Special Routing.

Also, what is commonly considered "fine pitch"?

It has truly been a while. My last PCB design was 10 years ago.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Ian McBride

It might be worth doing some exploratory board quoting using the online quote engines. For example,

Lewin A.R.W. Edwards

I think fine pitch is 4 mils or less. You'll find that relatively few PCB manufacturers offer this sort of stuff and it is very expensive. A recent new technique is to bury critical components like bypass capacitors inside the inner layers. This sort of technology is called 'HDI' or high-density interconnect.

Leon

Reply to
Leon Heller

I would suggest that anything more than 6/6 is pushing your luck if you whant low cost fast PCB's. If possible keep it to 8/8, that gives you even more options.

Ralph

Reply to
Ralph Mason

I try to stay at 10 thou if possible, but have done 6 without problems.

What track/spacing is used on the modern PC type motherboards? It's either bloody small or my eyes are getting even worse :)

Mike Harding

Reply to
Mike Harding