PCB

hi

I am a beginner to PCB design and have a PCB i want to get fabricated as a
test . It has both DIP and SMD components. Is there any service that' ll do
this for VERY CHEAP. so that even if i screw up it wont hurt.

Also do we have to send the smd components to them or do they buy it on
their own.

Thanks

Re: PCB
how abt extrmely small smd components is it possible to solder them
ourselves

Re: PCB
You can solder quite small smd parts yourself but it takes some
practice. Using plenty of rework flux paste you can solder many parts by
hand. Common packages that have solder points under the package like
PLCC are much harder to solder by hand.

We do small runs here using laser cut mylar solder screens, solder paste
and a small modified oven for soldering. Depending on the accuracy of
the PCB and particular components it's not too difficult. I've found
that long thin components like connectors are much more troublesome than
ICs with more legs but on all sides.

It may be cheaper if you source your own components. The assembly houses
can do it but it's time consuming and can be difficult to get small
quantities of some smd parts. I'd expect most assembly houses to offer a
one-off or prototype assembly service but it could be quite expensive
because they will likely do it by hand.

Regards
Paul Bealing
www.pmb.co.nz

Re: PCB
There is the oven soldering method with solder paste too.

as
ll

Re: PCB
We use the mylar screens to apply the solder paste. The components are
placed and just sit in the paste. The oven pre-heats then solders the
boards.
If you use fresh paste and get the temperatures and times about right,
it works well.

Regards
Paul Bealing
www.pmb.co.nz

Re: PCB
In Bulgaria? get with the program go to www.pcbexpress.com if want a pcb you
can actually use for cheap.

Re: PCB

OK, where do you get the idea that the Bulgarian boards are unusable ?
I've had boards done by them and they were first class
(DSPTH, 2 masks + overlay, 10 thou traces and spaces)
Lets do a comparison for a small board (up to 6*4 inches approx)
               PCBExpress      Olimex
Board            $222                  29
Int'l shipping  $45                     8 (not everyone lives in USA)
total               $267                  37
OK PCBExpress supply 2 boards for the money but he did say "A" PCB
and I've quoted the cheapest shipping options, but he did want VERY
CHEAP.
Bulgaria looks good from where I sit.

Re: PCB
when someone writes in with a US email address, that usually means they are
in the states!
and what the hell ever came out of Bulgaria that was worth anything?
And who needs to wait for 3 weeks to get prototypes?
(just my thoughts, but then again I do this stuff for a profit, not a loss)

you
as
ll
on

Re: PCB

That comment itself is worth the Nobel prize of stupidity.

Re: PCB

are

http://www.google.ca/search?q=Bulgaria+&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&btnG=Google +
Search&meta=

Go see for yourself...

There are other shipping options and the boards can be at your door in about
a week (but it gets more expensive). There are other companies in this
region (similar pricing, but not as fully featured) that package all their
boards in one big box, ship it to the states via FedEx, and then FedEx
distributes it from there. It's cheaper and delivery is about a 3-5 days.

loss)
pcb
fabricated
that'
it

Re: PCB

Is this comment based on prejudice or ignorance? I've used Olimex many
times - their quality is first rate (and I've used many other
manufacturers), their response time is excellent, they automatically
panelise (and cut) boards if you submit a board that is smaller than
their standard size. They are helpful, especially with first timers.
They speak perfect English, and use only top-quality board & chemicals
(see their web site for details). Further, I know many others who have
used them and have yet to find one who is anything but very satisfied
with their work. My only regret is they don't do 4-layer or more. They
will even take Eagle and other CAD files directly (they provide DRC
files for you to use to check your boards), removing the need for you
to produce Gerber files & then checking them.

Oh, and they are far and away the cheapest for one-offs I've found.

Mike

Site Timeline