PC104 vs EBX

Does EBX config have a real future versus the
established PC104 (and/or PC104plus)?  -  RM

Re: PC104 vs EBX

I think the difference is that EBX is larger and accomodates more
connectors for IO or daughtercards.  There was an article in a PC/104
magazine in the last year about EBX and a few other derivatives to
PC/104.  Of course I may be mixing EBX with one of the others.  Is EBX
the one that is the same size as a 3.5" or 5" HDD?  In that case it is
just a larger format which can use PC/104 cards for expansion.  A lot of
designs just can't fit well on the tiny PC/104 format.

--

Rick "rickman" Collins

snipped-for-privacy@XYarius.com
Re: PC104 vs EBX

Yes, it is the floppy footprint. I do not think it poses any serious
threat to the PC104... in current applications. - RM

Re: PC104 vs EBX

I dug out a spec today and it is a 5" drive format at 5.75"x8".  PC104
is used as an expansion connector.  This is not an alternative to PC104
since it is not designed to stack EBX sized boards.  But rather it is
intended to be a mother board to PC104 boards and allow a lot more room
to build a very complete PC on the main board.

Of course with the ever increasing distillation of system logic into
chips, the current PC104 boards are pretty complete.  The only real
advantages I can see with the EBX format is that they allow memory to be
added with DIMM modules and the CPUs can use reasonable sized fans and
heatsinks.  PC104 still has some real estate issues with power hungry
processors.

--

Rick "rickman" Collins

snipped-for-privacy@XYarius.com
Re: PC104 vs EBX

Just to answer a question that you didn't ask, and to throw in some more
information.. I am seeing a recurring theme where the "ETX" form factor
applies to more and more of our problems.  In this standard, a relatively
Spartan processor module sits on your own base board, where you contribute
whatever custom hardware is required.  There are also standard baseboards
available, mostly in microATX form factor.

We moved from PC/104 to EBX, unfortunately choosing Motorola's MBX2000
motherboard which immediately they cancelled after we went to market.  We
could have gone to another EBX board, but the connectors -- pitch, type, and
location -- vary between EBX boards and it turned out that only the MBX2000
would physically fit into our assembly.  After sizing up the mess we were
in, we went to ETX (which standardizes these connectors) and now have a
product with 3 interchangeable sources for the processor module.

Good luck!

Site Timeline