PC104 - similar to ISA ?

I have just gotten hold of one of those little 3.5" embedded PC's which has a PC104 interface. This is the first time I have had a board with such an interface. Question - is it similar to the old ISA 8 or 16 bit interfaces and could an old PC card be hooked up without too much effort. If not, is it a straight-forward bus to build a proto board interface for. The reason I ask is that the PCI bus always seems too much of a headache to design a board for.

TIA,

Colin

Reply to
Colin MacDougall

same as isa, just a different pinout. GOTCHA, is loading. won't support as many add-on cards as ISA, but this may have changed.

Tom Woodrow

Col> I have just gotten hold of one of those little 3.5" embedded PC's

Reply to
Tom Woodrow

Hi Colin,

PC/104 is a compact version of the ISA bus with lower current limits on receivers so more boards can be used. But there are several different coversion boards available so that a short stack of 104 cards can be plugged into an ISA motherboard, or a few ISA cards can be connected onto a PC/104 stack. I know Ampro had some of the latter in their catalog, and I have two of the former from Parvus, one eight bit, one sixteen. I have used them for development platforms, plugging PC/104 peripherals into a standard PC to test my driver code.

Bob McConnell N2SPP

Reply to
Bob McConnell