PBC gunk cleaning

Hello. I have several old PCBs that need to be cleaning of old coke and
coffee spills.
Bottom side of board is ok, it's the top that isn't accessable unless I
desolder about 700 points.
What's your favourite cleaning solution?
I plan to build a 'bubble' tank to agitate the stuff.
All suggestions appreciated.

--
Jay Miller
Temtronic Designs Inc.

Re: PBC gunk cleaning

I always use thinner to remove soldering flux after assembly; works great,
though it will dissolve certain plastics.
Don't know if it the best solvent for coke and coffee, I think water still
works best then, but I have never tried that ;)

Jeroen

Re: PBC gunk cleaning

A hard stream of hot water and 409 and
then attack them with a medium bristle
brush.

Final rinse in RO or distilled water if you
can.  Blow dry.

Re: PBC gunk cleaning

GMCFESIL: (Guy Macon's Cure For Electronics Soaked In Liquids)

(Feel free to repost, but please include this reference to my
webpage at [ http://www.guymacon.com/ ].)

[1] Remove all power sources.  Unplug the device and
    remove all batteries, including soldered in batteries
    if you can.

[2] Disassemble the device as well as your skills allow.
    If there is a paper cone speaker, or other part that
    looks like it might be damaged by water, set it aside.

[3] Go outside with a garden hose or put it in the sink
    and flush it with clean water to try to remove any
    soap, coffee, urine, or whatever else you managed to
    get in there...

[4] Use a 1/2 gallon jug of distilled water (make sure it's
    the distilled kind) and flush out the normal water.

[5] Use a bottle or two of isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol to
    flush the distilled water out.  For antique devices
    that may have natural rubber in them, use pure drinking
    alcohol.  In either case, the higher the proof/percentage
    the better.

[6] Put it in a warm, dry place until you can't smell any
    alcohol.  Then leave it for at least another day before
    reassembling and testing.

[7] If you are in a hurry, you can try to accelerate step
    five with a fan, blow drier, etc.  It's up to you to
    insure that you don't start an alcohol fire.

Guy Macon <http://www.guymacon.com

Re: PBC gunk cleaning
On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 18:20:17 -0700, Guy Macon
<http://www.guymacon.com wrote:

[...]

Denatured alcohol might be a better choice.  Roughly 85% ethanol, 15%
methanol.

Though natural rubber isn't particularly vulnerable to isopropanol.
Perhaps there is some other material you are concerned about?

Regards,

                               -=Dave
--
Change is inevitable, progress is not.

Re: PBC gunk cleaning
On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 15:52:20 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Dave Hansen)

Careful. There are all kinds of denaturing agents for alcohol. Some
may be harsher than others.

Al Balmer
Balmer Consulting
Re: PBC gunk cleaning

I am concerned about the fact that every bottle of "rubbing alcohol"
that the chemists I was working with had small amounts of other
hydrocarbons in them, and the other hydrocarbons varied.

Anything we got from a chemical supply house only had what was on
the label.

Re: PBC gunk cleaning

I used to have a bottle of 180 proof Everclear
grain alchol.  Great stuff.  Can't seem to find
it anymore though.

Re: PBC gunk cleaning

I use 190 proof.  It is available in many shops in Tijuana.
Each visitor can bring up to one liter over the border duty
free.  I pick up a bottle every time for use in cleaning
delicate electronics.

Re: PBC gunk cleaning
I know someone who puts their boards in a dishwasher (no detergent!)
with good results.
--
Tim Mitchell

Re: PBC gunk cleaning

I have used my dishwasher (*with* detergent - but only for the first
part of the cycle) to clean keyboards and mice and such (things that
I am willing to risk losing), followed hy keeping the item in my car
parked in the sun for a week or two to get it really dry.  So far
the items have all survived. I woudn't risk anything valuable with
this method.

Re: PBC gunk cleaning

Oh, that stuff has much better uses than cleaning. Friend of mine has
a great recipe - you take a gallon of apple cider, throw in a handful
of cinnamon sticks, stir in one or two cups of sugar, and boil away
about half of the water. Remove cinnamon sticks. Stir in a cup of
Everclear. Chill. Serve. You may want to lay in a stock of Advil
before trying this recipe, but it's delicious - it tastes like apple
pie filling (in fact, he calls the beverage "apple pie"). He plans to
make a thicker batch soon, by boiling away most of the water, and use
the resulting goo as an ice-cream topping. I'll gladly be a beta
tester for that.

Re: PBC gunk cleaning

Long long ago and far far away, in a Canadian Crown Corporation
120 odd miles northwest of Ottawa, there existed a biology lab.
This contained a vat of 'lab alky' for various official purposes
(the details of which were of no interest to me).  However a
bottle placed under the spigot could extract a usable sample,
which powered many a party.  Some of these were thrown in the
co-ed so-called staff hotel, better known as the riding academy.

At the same time the Quebec Liquor Board had available a potion
known as 'Alcool', which was a pale imitation of the real thing
(about 100 proof instead of 190).  Also the environment of
Montreal (especially Rougemont) had many farms and orchards which
produced hard apple cider, in various flavors (sweet, normal, dry)
which sold for Can$ 2.00 per real (imperial) gallon.  That also
powered many parties, and the Bostonions to whom I fed it wouldn't
listen when warned that the end effects were dire.  After
discovering those effects those people couldn't face apples or
anything derived therefrom for about a month.

--
 "This is a wonderful answer. It's off-topic, it's incorrect,
  and it doesn't answer the question."  --  Richard Heathfield

Re: PBC gunk cleaning

Many years ago a friend of mine spilled a glass of port into his TRS-80,
which stopped it working. It was OK after he cleaned the mess up with some
damp tissues. Water would be best for coffee and coke.

Leon

Re: PBC gunk cleaning
On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 07:34:46 -0400, "j.b. miller"

If you can get hold of some freon (CFCs), that would clean
it very nicely.

Regards
  Anton Erasmus

Re: PBC gunk cleaning

I used to work for a company that manufactured equipment to clean flux
and other contaminants off pcbs without using CFCs (eg: freon).
Methanol (wood alcohol) followed by a de-ionized water rinse is pretty
good at removing most gunk. Use a soft-bristle tooth brush in the
methanol wash to scrub off those stubborn bits. It shouldn't hurt
anything on the boards.

Mark

Re: PBC gunk cleaning
I'd try Gumout carburator cleaner.  Incredible stuff.  Blast it on and
it pours/evaporates of.

Try on a odd corner of the board first, in case it causes bad things to
happen.

Re: PBC gunk cleaning

I would avoid anything that aggressive.  It may damage some of the component
plastics

Re: PBC gunk cleaning
On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 03:45:43 GMT, the renowned Neil Kurzman

Also acetone- it will attack plastics.  OTOH, isopropanol is certainly
mild enough, and some petroleum solvents are okay, with care.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Re: PBC gunk cleaning
Try what many manufacturers use: demineralized water. No damage to any
plastic. Put the PCB in a hot air oven at 50 degrees celsius to dry.

I have cleaned TV and video remotes many times using this method.

Meindert

Site Timeline